Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 15 Nov 2016
Position Title : Consultant – Information/Database Assistant Duty Station : Niamey, Niger Classification : Consultant, Grade OTHE Type of Appointment : Consultant, 3 months with possibility of extension Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible Closing Date : 15 November 2016
Reference Code: CON 2016/32
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
For the past years, Niger has been one of the main countries of transit for migrants crossing West Africa. IOM has been present in Niger since 2006 and has recently started monitoring these mixed migration flows coming from various countries in the region. The drivers of these current mixed migration flows include instability and conflict, social, economic and demographic inequalities, environmental degradation, rights abuses, weak governance and failed migration and asylum systems. The nature of the migration flows is similarly mixed, including persons in need of international protection, economic migrants, vulnerable migrants whose journeys are organized by exploitative migrant smuggling and human trafficking networks. In view of this situation, the International Organization for Migration (IOM) is expanding its data collection activities at flow monitoring points in Niger and in the West Africa region Under the direct supervision of the Information Management Officer and in close coordination with the program managers, protection unit and media and communication unit the Information/Database Assistant will be responsible of the following activities, according to IOM’s procedures:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- In close coordination with the Information Management Unit and the Operations Unit in IOM Niger, manage the databases registering migrants at the IOM transit centers.
- In coordination with the operations team, track migrants’ arrivals in the transit center and ensure they are registered in the IOM database.
- Train and supervise the staff registering and profiling the migrants and ensure data entry is accurate, reliable and respects IOM’s data protection principles.
- Coordinate the entry of information gathered about migrants into the IOM databases in the transit centers. Ensure the relevant units receive information from the databases in a timely fashion for operational purposes.
- Ensure the data entry is up to date within all units and support with data entry where necessary.
- Support field teams in timely and accurate data collection through trainings, supervision and field visits when necessary.
- Assist in the development and implementation of the IOM Information Management and DTM Strategies in Niger.
- Design other databases and auxiliary systems for existing or new programs and projects within IOM Niger, as required.
- Participate in reinforcement of the IM skills of IOM Niger staff members.
- Ensure of proper archiving/saving of the data collected and of the maintenance of the equipment used in the field as per established procedures.
- Perform other duties as they might be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
Education • University degree in Mathematics, Science, Statistics, Information Technology or Computer Science or alternatively, an equivalent combination of related education and professional experience.
Experience • Minimum one year of experience using two or more of the following tools: Office, Access, Visual Basic, Java, ASP, SQL or Oracle. • Experience in the development and implementation of population database systems (such as registrations, census or surveys). • Experience with Windows Server software (NT/2000) in a multi-site environment, TCP/IP, MS Office, data analysis with Excel, ESRI ArcGIS. • Experience in working in remote environments • Experience in managing and training data entry staff.
Languages Fluency in French is required. Working knowledge of English is an advantage.
Desirable Competencies: Behavioral • Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms • Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders • Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others • Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience • Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services • Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others. • Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility; • Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter • Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation. • Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions; • Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
Other: • IOM will cover travel expenses to/from the place of duty. • Before commencing work, the Consultant will be required to submit a statement of good health signed by a certified medical doctor, including confirmation that the Consultant’s vaccinations required for the country or countries to which travel may be required are up to date. • IOM only covers the Consultant against occupational accidents and illnesses under the Compensation Plan (CP), free of charge, for the duration of the assignment. IOM does not provide evacuation or medical insurance for reasons related to non-occupational accidents and illnesses. The Consultant is responsible for his/her own medical insurance for non-occupational accident or illness.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment system, by 15 November 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to: http://www.iom.int/cms/en/sites/iom/home/about-iom-1/recruitment/how-to-apply.html In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly completed.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
Posting period: From 02.11.2016 to 15.11.2016
Read more here:: ReliefWeb