Organization: United Nations Support Office in Somalia
Closing date: 30 Nov 2016
This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred in order to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors in order to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
The position is located in Mogadishu, Somalia. The incumbent will report to Chief, Integrated Warehouse & Distribution Section.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Within the delegated authority, the Administrative Assistant will be responsible for the following duties;
Human Resources Management
· Initiates, processes, monitors, reviews and follows-up on actions related to the administration of the unit’s human resource activities, e.g., recruitment, placement, relocation, promotion, performance appraisal, job classification reviews, separation, training etc., consistently applying UN rules ,regulations, policies and procedure.
· Liaises with central administration/executive services as required
· Maintains vacancy announcement files and updates track vacancy announcements:
· Advises staff on visa matters
· Provided information and advice to staff/consultants with respect to conditions of service, duties, and responsibilities, privileges and entitlement under the Staff Rules and Regulations
· Monitors assigned staffing tables for a variety of human resource activities e.g appointments, retirement, expiration of appointments, reassignment, transfer and movement of staff
Budget and Finance
· Provides assistance in the preparation and development of the office’s work programme;
· Consolidates data received and provides support to higher-level staff with respect to budget reviews
· Reviews status of relevant expenditures and compares with approved budget;
· Reviews requisitions for goods and services to ensure (a) correct objects of expenditure have been charged and (b) availability of funds;
· Assists in the preparation of budget performance submissions;
· Prepares statistical tables and standard financial reports;
· Provides guidance to mission and /or subordinate staff
· Identifies and reports issues/problems as they arise, and recommends appropriate actions
· Coordinates regularly with service units and liaises as needed with internal team members both at mission and in sectors.
· Processes the payment of contractors’ invoices and monitor payments;
· Prepares and processes all UN forms and permissions for contractual and work Unit, Section or Service UN staff, including: UN grounds passes, property passes, UN parking permits, swipe-card access and door keys.
· Performs other related administrative duties, as required, e.g., operational travel programme; monitoring accounts and payment to vendors and individual contractors for services; physical space planning; identification of office technology needs and maintenance of equipment, software and systems; organizing and coordinating administrative arrangements for seminars, conferences and translations
Professionalism: Ability to perform a broad range of administrative functions, e.g., budget/work programme, human resources, database management, etc. Ability to apply knowledge of various United Nations administrative, financial and human resources rules and regulations in work situations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
Planning& Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
Qualifications and Experience:
Education: High school diploma or equivalent is required. Technical training in Finance, Budget, Human Resources Management or Administration is highly desirable.
Experience: A minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in administration, finance, budget, accounting, audit, human resources or related area. Solid computer skills including proficiency in word processing and spreadsheets is required. Specific knowledge of the UN administrative electronic tools, such as Umoja or ERP is desirable.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position, fluency in English and Somali (both oral and written) is required. Knowledge of other UN language is an advantage.
Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
Candidates who are not selected, but whose performance in the interview process nevertheless demonstrated them to be suitable for a similar function may be kept on a roster for up to 12 months. Candidates placed on the roster may be considered for selection against future vacancies for the same function and level.
How to apply:
How to Apply:
Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (P.11) to the address mentioned below on or before the deadline. The P.11 is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline 30 November 2016 will not be accepted. CVs will not be accepted.
Please quote, Vacancy Announcement Number and Functional Title in the subject of the e-mail
Kindly attach a copy of P11, Degree Certificate, Passport and or National Identification Card. These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibilty. Please note CID and NISA Certificates are required at a later stage of the recruitment process.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).
Read more here:: ReliefWeb