Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 25 Nov 2016
Position Title : Intern-Office of the Ombudsperson
Duty Station : Geneva, Switzerland
Classification : Intern, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Internship, 6 months
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 25 November 2016
Reference Code: INT 2016/17
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration
and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM
is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by
providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Office of Ombudsperson serves as an independent function to address employment-related
problems of staff members. It operates in accordance with the Standards of Practice and Code
of Ethics of the International Ombudsperson Association: “Independence, Neutrality and
Impartiality, Confidentiality and Informality”. The role of the Ombudsperson is to mediate in
conflicts of any nature related to conditions of employment, administration of benefits,
managerial practices as well as professional and staff relations matters. As a dispute resolution
practitioner, the Ombudsperson provides assistance in the informal resolution of conflicts and
other issues and monitoring trends and emerging issues. The Ombudsperson Office acts as an
Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) resource for Staff Members who may also wish assistance
with respectful workplace environment issues. The purpose of the Ombudsperson is to be a
mechanism that helps the members of the IOM Staff to be treated fairly advocating civility and
mutual respect as the most productive avenue to successful problem solving and prevent
conflicts from escalating.
The Intern will work under the guidance and direct supervision of the Ombudsperson and will
support his teamwork with other colleagues in the Field Missions and IOM Headquarters.
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
The Intern will assist the Ombudsperson in the following duties and responsibilities:
- Case management and assistance with the intake and follow-up of cases including the compilation of statistics and the preparation of regular reports.
- Research in the identification of systemic issues to initiate the necessary inquiries with a view to advising/recommending possible preventive action to boost morale and improve the organizational climate.
- Preparation of documents on trends and activities identifying patterns or problem areas in the Organization’s policies and practices and for recommending revisions or improvements.
- Research on topics related to the Ombudsperson function such as staff regulations and rules, administrative instructions, etc.
- Outreach activities such as preparing and editing texts, brochures, articles and presentations.
- Designing and conducting training programmes for the Organization in prevention, dispute and conflict resolution and other related topics for creating a trusting environment in which conflict is minimized.
- Supporting the work of the Ombudsperson on gender issues to prevent discrimination and harassment and ensure equal treatment and the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Perform any other tasks as requested by the Ombudsperson. Required Qualifications and Experience:
An advanced university degree in Behavioural Sciences, Conflict Resolution, Law, Social Sciences, Human Resources or enrolled in a Master’s degree or PhD-Programme in these areas.**Experience**
Background in current and emerging practices in mediation, dispute resolution, and familiarity with the functioning of international organizations and its administrative policies and procedures;
Capacity to timely understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines;
Conscientiousness in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
Motivation by professional concerns showing persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges and remaining calm in stressful situations;
Practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work independently;
Ability to keep matters strictly confidential and exercise good discretion in using information;
Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and professional backgrounds;
Computer literate, especially database tools; and
Strong organizational skills.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French and/or Spanish is an advantage.
- Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
- Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
- Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
- Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
- Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
- Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of self and others.
- Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
- Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
- Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
- Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
- Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs of IOM.
• A stipend is available for this post
• Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment
and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where
The incumbent will acquire technical knowledge in the Office of the Ombudsperson. He/She will
also gain in-site experience in working in an international multi-cultural environment, with an intergovernmental organization.
Carte de Legitimation
The organization will obtain the ‘carte de legitimation’ for the duration of the internship for the
selected candidate. Depending on experience and location, IOM provides a small monthly
stipend to help offset costs. Applicants are advised to please consider the cost of living in
Geneva prior to applying.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 25 November 2016 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on
your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 10.11.2016 to 25.11.2016
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT