Posted by: Reel Works Teen Filmmaking
Brooklyn, NY, US
Reel Works seeks Teaching Artists/Activity Specialists for long-term, after-school middle school residencies at West Prep Academy Middle School (WPA) in the Upper West Side of Manhattan for the 2016-17 academic year.
Middle school is a unique developmental stage, and we’re looking for individuals with energy, passion, and the ability to command the attention and respect of our scholars while engaging them through a fun and innovative arts curriculum – which is the hallmark of Reel Works’ full year after school SONYC partnership with WPA, funded by the NYC DYCD.
WPA Teaching Artists are responsible for developing and implementing six-week workshop outlines and lesson plans, supervising group leaders and reporting assessment and outcomes. During the six-week workshops scholars are expected to engage new art forms, express their true voices and complete projects displaying clear learning objectives.
Workshops will include documentary and narrative filmmaking, animation, music production, photography, podcasting, media literacy, dance, and more. In fact, we are looking for artists who bring fresh ideas in media making and education into our program offerings.
WPA Teaching Artists receive the support of an Education Specialist in designing workshops and lesson plans. All Teaching Artists are paired with Group Leaders (teaching assistants) in each classroom and report to the Program Director.
- Plan and facilitate activity workshops with middle school scholars during after school program
- Create and facilitate age appropriate lesson plans and activities
- Maintain positive learning environment
- Participate in training and staff development activities.
- Demonstrate effective classroom management skills.
- Collaborate and communicate with supervisory staff and team members
- Complete necessary reports to monitor student progress and participation including daily attendance, incident reports, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- BA in Arts and/or Education
- Proficiency in arts/media discipline
- Experience working with youth, teaching, and curriculum development aligned with NYC Blueprint for Learning & Teaching in the Arts a plus
- Multiple languages a plus
Read more here:: Idealist