Closing date: 09 Dec 2016
APOPO is looking to welcome applications from any volunteer who is interested in using their modelling expertise to help save communities from the terror of landmines.
The Mine Action Modeling Volunteer’s role is to assist the APOPO management team within Mine Action in creating a justified multi variable model that can be utilised to plan mine action resources and ideally market the use of APOPO’s Mine Detection Rats over competing assets to larger Mine Detection organisations.
The main purpose of the role is to find someone with modelling expertise who can work with APOPO’s Mine Action management team to create an easy to use model that displays the various real world landmine scenarios where using HeroRats save considerable time and money.
The projected commitment is 40-60 hours over a 3-6 month period.
- Excellent communication skills and ability to collaborate with mine action experts to understand a complex operational framework quickly and produce a usable model;
- Familiarity with Excel or other programs that maybe better for this particular task;
- Self motivation and discipline to meet deadlines;
- Fluency in English.
Professional experience and expertise in financial and/or logistical modelling is required.
- Conduct Initial calls with APOPO’s Head of Mine Action and the US Director to plan model and understand variables (climate, land mine placement patterns, terrain type etc) that affect efficacy and efficiency of a variety of different mine action tools in a variety of scenarios.
- Work closely with the US Director, who has some limited experience with modelling and some SME in Mine Action on a more routine basis to create a conceptual data model;
- Choose ideal program (ie excel or other data program) for the model;
- Build and execute the model for Mine Action Planning;
- Advise on how to present final sharable model (ideally accessible online) that can be used easily by a variety of organisations to understand the value of Mine Detection Rats.
SUPPORT AND VOLUNTEER EXPECTATIONS
APOPO’s Mine Action Team will be available regularly to respond to any questions and APOPO’s US Director is willing to work more hands on with the volunteer on the model if practical. APOPO
is willing to purchase software needed to create a highly functioning model, if within a reasonable
Volunteering for APOPO offers a unique opportunity to combine your passion for animals and your
commitment to make this world a better place. This is also the chance to participate to meaningful
projects while gaining experience and developing new and existing skills with a non-profit
organisation with real social impact. APOPO offers scope for initiative and a supportive
APOPO is an Equal Opportunity Employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, age, gender identity, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability, military/veteran status or citizenship status.
How to apply:
Please join APOPO’s dynamic international team and help us make a difference! Send your CV and motivation letter to the following link: http://bit.ly/2b3WhBf
Read more here:: ReliefWeb