Posted by: Project High Hopes
Richmond, VA, US
Inspire U.S. is a grassroots, nonpartisan effort aimed at transforming young leaders’ inspiration into action to improve communities and strengthen our democracy. Currently, the InspireVA program is active in northern Virginia and looking to expand efforts in the Virginia Beach and Richmond regions. [Seeking one Field Organizer in Richmond; one in Virginia Beach/Tidewater]
Through outreach, planning and implementation support, Field Organizers will accomplish the following by April 30, 2017:
- Promote and obtain commitments from at least 30 of schools in the region to participate in the Governor’s High School Voter Registration Challenge by April 30, 2017.
- Coordinate at least one campaign or event aimed at encouraging high school students in the region to communicate openly with their elected officials.
- Register 65% of participating schools’ senior classes to vote by the end of April 2017 in order to receive the Governor’s Award and recognition.
- Identify high school student leaders who will continue and further expand Inspire projects at each participating high school.
- Identify school champions (teachers or administrators) who will serve as a points of contact for logistics and collection of voter registration forms.
- Coordinate and conduct recognition activities/events in each school that successfully completes the Challenge.
- Support planning, implementation and recordkeeping of target schools’ nonpartisan plans to register 65% of eligible seniors at their high schools to vote before or during Virginia’s High School Voter Registration Week, April 24-28, 2017 .
- Recruit, train, guide and assist student leaders, teachers and school administrators in carrying out successful nonpartisan voter registration activities and events.
- Recruit volunteers to support successful voter registration outcomes.
- Ensure voter registration forms are properly completed and submitted to local registrars in a timely manner.
- Collaborate with partner organizations and the Governor’s committee to prepare and disseminate press releases, e-newsletters, and print communications to increase participation in the Governor’s High School Voter Registration Challenge and ensure participating schools are recognized for their efforts.
- Collect Pledge to Register forms and expressions of interest in the Inspire Leadership program from sophomores and juniors for the 2017-18 Inspired Year.
- Communicate regularly with Inspire Virginia Program Coordinators, National Program Managers and Project High Hopes staff and founders to ensure efforts are streamlined and consistent with national program directives and goals.
- Maintain database for efficient tracking, reporting and follow-up on program objectives.
- Other duties as assigned.
Timeline: This temporary, full-time, non-exempt position is based on a scope of work beginning January 3 through May 2017. Based on successful attainment of program outcomes, this position may be extended and expanded. Heavier workloads may occur as a result of project deadlines and peak activity periods (April 24-28 Virginia’s High School Voter Registration Week). Weekend and/or evening work may at times be required.
Knowledge, Skills & Attributes:
- Experience facilitating student leadership programs strongly preferred.
- Strong self-starter with excellent project management skills and technological aptitude.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication.
- Adept problem-solver who demonstrates initiative, willingness and a positive attitude in overcoming challenges and achieving goals.
- Exceptional relationship-building skills; collaborative, innovative, personable and cooperative.
- General knowledge of state and regional voter registration procedures; interest in local and state government.
- Access to a car, valid driver’s license, satisfactory driving record, and proof of auto insurance required.
- Due to our work with minor children, Inspire requires all employees and contractors to pass a criminal background screening.
Read more here:: Idealist