Organization: Norwegian Refugee Council
Closing date: 10 Jan 2017
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water, sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The NRC Somalia/Somaliland Country Programme is part of the NRC Horn of Africa, Yemen, Uganda and South Sudan regional mission. Operations in the region began in Somaliland in 2004, expanded to Puntland in 2006, South Central Somalia and Kenya in 2007. Prioritized activities focus on shelter construction; water, hygiene and sanitation; education; food security; protection and information, counselling and legal Assistance (ICLA).
The Finance Coordinator will be responsible for the area office financial management and reporting in close coordination with Project Managers and Area Manager.
- Generic Responsibilities:
- Implement NRC’s systems and procedures at area level
- Ensure adherence to NRC policies, handbooks, guidelines and donor requirements
- Prepare and submit reports and analysis
- Ensure proper filing of all support documents
- Support line managers in procedures and require support team trainings
- Management of finance team
- Ensure that the accounting, monitoring and reporting are according to procedures
- Support project staff in financial matters
- Maintain budget control and monitor cash flow for the area
- Specific responsibilities:
- Prepare and analyse the Balance Accounts Reconciliation for area office
- Prepare and analyse the Project Summary (executive BVA and cash request) for the area office.
- Assist the Finance Manager to have an overview of all project budgets for Somalia Program.
- Contribute in the design, development and implementation of the grants management policies, procedures and practices
- Participate in the preparation of the Administrative Budget for the Somalia mission
- Take leadership in preparation of Area final reports and adherence to guidelines.
- Training of finance and non-finance staff on financial procedures and policies
- Ensure monthly budget monitoring is done for each project
- Meeting with budget holders in the regard of the monitored budgets
- Review and consolidate all grant management reports
- Continually review the entire grant management system and provide recommendations to the Finance Manager on its improvement.
- Prepare financial reports to Somalia Country Office and donors.
- Ensure timely transfer of funds to all area field offices .
- Ensure timely preparation of payments vouchers.
- Replace the Finance Manager during absence if needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration or related field of study.
- Experience: 3-5 years’ experience in Finance and Budget management
- Specific familiarity with grants proposal writing, and reporting to UNHCR, ECHO, BPRM, EC, SIDA, CIDA and DFID.
- Good knowledge of financial reporting systems
- Very strong computer based financial analysis skills
- Good hands on experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Knowledge of the context in the area of operations.
- Knowledge of the Somali language
- Strong analysis skills (qualitative and quantitative)
- Excellent one to one and group communication /information presentation skills
- Good understanding of various donors’ financial requirements
- Experience in designing budgets with different donor formats (for e.g. DFID, EC, SHF, UNHCR, ECHO, NMFA, SIDA) and leading on anticorruption training workshops
- Experience working with Excel and other computerized accounting systems. knowledge of Agresso software package will be an added advantage.
- Goal oriented with ability to work under pressure, independently and with limited supervision.
- Behavioral competencies:
- Handling insecure environments
- Planning and Delivering Results
- Working with people
- Communicating with impact and respect
- Strategic thinking
- Managing resources to optimize results
- Commencement: As soon as possible
- Contract Duration: One year with possibility of extension
- Duty Station: Kismayo with frequent travel to areas of programme operations
- Salary/Benefits: According to NRC’s general directions.
How to apply:
Candidates can apply online on the following link:
Qualified female candidates are encouraged to apply.
Email and paper applications will not be considered.
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners/employees and to check that its partners/employees have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
Read more here:: ReliefWeb