Organization: Internews Network
Country: Sri Lanka
Closing date: 20 Jan 2017
Internews Network is seeking a Chief of Party (COP) candidate for a USAID-funded media support program with the goal of further strengthening independent media in Sri Lanka. The Chief of Party will provide strategic guidance and leadership; coordinate technical, legal and professional capacity building assistance to partners and beneficiaries; ensure proper oversight of program personnel, financial management and administration; and coordinate with other media stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews leverages other resources, avoids duplication and compliments other media development initiatives. The COP will also be responsible for establishing strong partnership and dialogue with the appropriate donor representatives.
Note: Hiring will be dependent upon receipt of project funding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Leadership, management, representational and operational oversight.
- Manage and oversee all staff in the country. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Provide strategic, operational and representational assistance to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets, recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries.
- Track and report project progress and activities monthly against work plan.
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation to ensure effective implementation and to measure program impact.
- Maintain strategic awareness of independent media issues in the region (especially broadcast and new media), and a general understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing independent media across the region.
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all grant and cooperative agreement rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures.
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated.
- Carry out management responsibilities including interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Maintain regular communications with Internews headquarters staff to communicate progress on programming and address upcoming issues in advance.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- 10 years of progressively responsible media development experience.
- Previous experience as a proactive COP with a strong reputation for developing excellent collaborative working relationships with counterparts, international organizations and donors.
- Long-term, overseas media development experience preferably in the Asia region, working experience and knowledge of Sri Lanka is preferred.
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded media projects and proven ability to develop and monitor work plans, training plans, and procurement plans.
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for journalists and media outlets, strong knowledge of digital media preferred.
- Demonstrated mentoring abilities and experience supporting senior managerial staff.
- USAID or USG experience is strongly preferred.
- Experience leveraging other sources of funding to advance programmatic objectives.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- English fluency required, local language skills are highly desirable.
- Relevant university degree required.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
How to apply:
To apply, please visit our Career Center.
Read more here:: ReliefWeb