Organization: Internews Network
Country: Sri Lanka
Closing date: 27 Jan 2017
Internews seeks a Resident Journalism Advisor (RJA) for a potential USAID-funded media support program in Sri Lanka. The RJA is responsible for capacity building of Sri Lankan media partners, in all areas of media development from journalism training and content production to business development and management. The RJA will be delegated other management responsibilities by the project Chief of Party (COP) as appropriate, including staff performance management, project management and senior representation roles.
Note: Hiring will be dependent upon receipt of project funding.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Technical support, guidance and mentoring to media partners.
- Oversight of sub-awards and mentoring to partners, including quality assurance, reporting and M&E compliance.
- Develop and maintain understanding of issues affecting both the media community and the media development community in Sri Lanka, including security and political factors.
- Build and maintain relationships with national and local media outlets; support sustainable media business models, including digital and mobile platforms.
- Build and maintains relationships with local media development organizations.
- Strengthen and oversee curriculum development, training and mentoring activities.
- Support strategic communications efforts of Internews in coordination with the COP and Deputy Chief of Party (DCOP) to promote and publicize project activities.
- Draft and submit deliverables such as work plans, proposals, annual report, and close-out report.
- Assist the COP and other staff in raising funds for project continuation by writing proposals and developing corresponding budgets.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Experience managing USG- funded media projects in complex development environments, preferably in South East Asia.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience as a senior journalist and at least 5 years’ news management experience.
- Experience in journalism training and production.
- Experience working with Sri Lankan media, preferably in-country.
- Strong critical thinking and writing skills; excellent communication skills.
- Experience creating and managing budgets.
- Significant ability to analyze and interpret media trends.
- Thorough understanding of the technical, political and social, issues specific to Sri Lanka.
- International experience training and mentoring journalists or journalism students, as well as in developing training curriculum.
- Proven interpersonal and networking skills with international organizations and donors.
- Team-building skills and the ability to manage a diverse staff.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
How to apply:
To apply, please visit our Career Center.
Read more here:: ReliefWeb