Organization: Médecins Sans Frontières
Closing date: 09 Jan 2017
Field Communications Advisor (f/m)
The Field Communications Advisor has a strategic role to play in building the communication capacity of MSF missions through appropriate coaching, trainings, briefings and tools. S/he advises the cell managers at HQ on the communication stakes in their countries and on the proper allocation of resources to meet local communication objectives.
Operational communication support
- Advise in the design and implementation of local communication strategies
- Contribute to the analysis of the communication environment of MSF missions through specific tools
- Develop and implement digital/social media plans to accompany communications initiatives
- Advise and assist MSF missions in the recruitment of local communications.
- Lead strategic cross media communications packages comprising online media tools
- Liaise closely with other MSF sections and in-house units on issues of public positioning, advocacy, temoignage and visibility activities.
- Produce articles, press releases and other communications materials and work in partnership with the production and media units to provide timely quality communication materials to MSF missions based on their needs.
- Handle media requests and organize field visits of journalists in the countries of her/his portfolio in partnership with the media cell.
- Monitor that communications materials produced in the field are consistent with the identity MSF wants to showcase, compliant with international guidelines and respectful of internal validation procedures.
- Upon request, provide ad-hoc support to MSF missions on specific communication activities.
- Follow digital innovations and social media evolution / trends
- Identify and share local communication best practices with the network of communication officers, both in the field and within the MSF movement.
- Assist and advice field operations on digital tools and means to help address missions’ needs.
- Participate in the conception, preparation and implementation of communication training modules.
- Contribute to the conception, feeding and updating of the Communication Tool Box.
- Brief and debrief senior expatriates.
- Ensure proper coaching of newly-recruited communication resources in the field, with particular emphasis on first mission and national staff in charge of communications.
- Degree in communication, international journalism, Political Science or related field
- Solid understanding of humanitarian action
- Professional experience in journalism and/or communications with an international NGO.
- Relevant field experience, preferably in a communications position.
- Track record of developing successful communications strategies.
- MSF experience a strong asset.
- An understanding of humanitarian interventions, their principles and ethics.
- Excellent writing, editing, and proofreading skills including ability to accurately synthesize complex and sensitive material to produce content for publication
- Knowledge and understanding of how media works and on national and local levels
- Ability to rapidly synthesize large amounts of information
- Capacity to coach, train, facilitate workshop and motivate people.
- Strong planning skills, strategic mindset.
- Expertise of wide range of communication tools
- Strong knowledge on how media functions internationally, on national and local levels
- Demonstrated experience with digital communications
- Excellent writing skills in English and French.
- Knowledge of other languages spoken in MSF countries of operations is an asset.
- Team player.
- Ability to work with people from different backgrounds.
- Flexibility and do-it-yourself attitude.
- Available to travel to the field at a very short notice (approximately 2 months per year).
- A strong sense of initiative combined with team spirit
Terms of Employment
- Open-ended contract, full-time position (CDI 100%).
- Based in Geneva, with possible travels to MSF missions.
- Ideal starting date : March 2017
- Gross annual salary : from CHF 83’220.-
How to apply:
Interested candidates should forward by email only their application (cover letter and CV/resume in English) to firstname.lastname@example.org, stating in the subject line “FieldCom Advisor 2016.12”.
The deadline for applications is 9th January 2017.
The applications will be treated confidentially.
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
For more details on the job offer or MSF, please visit our website : http://www.msf.ch/travailler-avec-nous/
Read more here:: ReliefWeb