Organization: International Justice Mission
Closing date: 31 Dec 2016
IJM Uganda is working to protect widows and orphans by eliminating property grabbing in Uganda. IJM does this by bringing rescue and restoration to individual victims, accountability to their perpetrators and transformation to the public justice system as a whole. As the Church and Community Mobilization Coordinator on IJM’s System Reform team, you will have the opportunity to mobilize, educate, and equip the church and community on how to protect widows and orphans from property grabbing.
This position is based in Kampala, Uganda and reports to IJM’s Director of System Reform and will work closely with the National Director on national initiatives.
Education and Empowerment
- Support the development curricula for community education and church empowerment programs;
- Teach church and community members and their leaders about the causes, costs and consequences of property grabbing;
- Teach faith-based leaders about the pursuit of justice for widows and orphans and strategies for engagement with relevant government authorities;
- Mobilize participation in community education and church empowerment programs;
- Coordinate logistics for community education and church empowerment programs;
- Identify and train clergy and lay leaders to conduct documentation clinics (wills, marriage, land, etc.); and
- Lead, facilitate and coordinate documentation clinics for members of the community.
Strategic Planning, Networking, and Advocacy
- Develop and implement strategies for mobilizing faith-based and communities at-large to seek justice;
- Network with church, para-church, political, and community leaders and inter-religious institutions to develop an awareness of property grabbing and its effect on widows and orphans;
- Manage special events (pastor’s conferences, justice and peace seminars, partner workshops, etc.);
- Develop relationships with actors like Born Again Federation, Uganda Christian University, Inter-religious Council of Uganda, Uganda Joint Christian Council and other potential partners in Uganda and the Western Church;
- Support IJM in advocacy efforts for positive change in the public justice system; and
- Engagement and support of faith-based parliamentarian groups.
CCM Team Leadership
- Supervise, mentor, and manage the efforts of the Church and Community Mobilization team, including Mobilizer and Fellow; and
- Develop team members talents and potential to engage with faith-based and community leaders to further the goals of IJM Uganda.
Support and Development
- Support and liaise with the training teams as they engage with police, local counsel members, and other sensitization efforts;
- Organize and support national and parliamentary organizations that are faith-based;
- Support System Reform Director in development of System Reform initiatives;
- Participate in IJM programs to develop professionalism and Christian formation;
- Assist in hosting guests, visitors, and volunteers; and
- Perform other tasks as assigned.
- This position requires frequent travel not limited to areas within Kampala and Mukono District during working hours.
Required Skills and Experience
- University degree in relevant field (theology, law, program management, social sciences, etc.);
- Five or more years of professional experience in relevant field preferred;
- Five or more years of experience leading teams or organizations preferred;
- Community mobilization experience preferred;
- Demonstrated ability to interact and work among various faith backgrounds including various Christian denominations;
- Excellent critical thinking, analysis, and oral and written communication skills;
- Fluency in English and Luganda, with excellent writing and speaking in both;
- Computer literate with proficiency in MS Word, Outlook, Access and Excel; and
- Driver’s License preferred.
· Mature Christian faith as defined by the Apostles’ Creed;
· Passionate commitment to IJM’s mission and values;
· Professional in demeanor, appearance, writing and oral communication;
· Works well under stress with a sustained positive attitude;
· Exceptionally high level of honesty and integrity;
· Intelligent, organized, creative and proactive problem solver; and
· Ability to cooperate effectively in a multi-cultural environment.
How to apply:
To apply, please log on to http://www.ijm.org/careers/church-community-mobilization-coordinator-kampala-uganda
Read more here:: ReliefWeb