Organization: Norwegian Refugee Council
Closing date: 16 Dec 2016
ICLA Project Assistant – Uganda Nationals Only – Uganda
Norwegian Refugee Council
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within the shelter, education, emergency food security, legal assistance, and water,sanitation and hygiene sectors.
The Norwegian Refugee Council has approximately 5000 committed and competent employees involved in projects across four continents. In addition, NRC runs one of the world’s largest standby rosters -NORCAP, with 650 professionals, ready to be deployed on 72 hours notice when a crisis occurs
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization with 60 years of experience in helping to create a safer and more dignified life for refugees and internally displaced people. NRC advocates for the rights of displaced populations and offers assistance within Shelter, Education, Food security, Legal Assistance, Camp Management Water, Sanitation and Hygiene sectors.
Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) has been implementing projects for Internally Displaced Persons and Refugees in Northern Uganda, West Nile and South Western respectively, since 1997. Having smoothly phased-out by end of August 2014 in the North, NRC reopened from September 2014, to compliment efforts of the Government of Uganda and UNHCR in supporting the South Sudanese Refugees currently settled in the Districts of Adjumani and Arua in West Nile. With funding from SIDA, NMFA, ECHO and UNHCR, NRC will implement integrated projects in Adjumani/Arua/Yumbe refugee settlements.
The Project Assistant will be responsible in the implementation of the project activities.
NRC may be required to verify the identity of its partners/employees and to check that its partners/employees have not been involved in illegal activities. NRC reserves the right to use electronic screening tools for this purpose.
CANDIDATES SHOULD APPLY ON LINE BY GOING THROUGH www.nrc.no. EMAIL AND PAPER APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
- Support the design of ICLA information campaigns including in the context of the current refugee influx.
- Support the development of information, education and communication (IEC) materials/brochures on HLP, legal identity and HLP and their translation into local languages.
- Organize and ensure the timely implementation of information campaigns under projects for use in the local media including radio stations and TV talk shows and in group information sessions conducted by ICLA to raise awareness of refugees rights, entitlements and responsibilities.
- Support the development of targeted HLP training materials for humanitarian actors and local actors including UN agencies, INGOs, national/local NGOs and refugee leadership.
- Support HLP training sessions and ensure lessons learned are documented for future training.
- Support relevant M&E process for designated project activities under approved project work plan.
- Support the preparation and compilation of weekly, monthly and mid-term report.
- University degree in law, political science, social science or other relevant discipline.
- Diploma with experience will be considered.
- Minimum 3 years humanitarian experience with refugees/internally displaced persons (IDPs) at field level with an NGO or other international organization.
- Experience working as a Project Assistant in a humanitarian/recovery context
- Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
- Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
- Knowledge of English and knowledge of Somali is an asset
- Academy college / University
- Ability to identify vulnerable groups e.g. women at risk, elderly etc…
- Ability to work under pressure, establish priorities and plan, coordinate own work plan, use time efficiently and apply judgement in the context of competing deadlines.
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
- Excellent oral/communication skills and ability to articulate ideas in a clear and accurate manner including the ability to prepare and edit a variety of written documents, reports and briefs.
- Experience of legal assistance activities and awareness raising campaigns.
- Knowledge of the political and security situation in Uganda
- Salary: As per NRC Uganda Scale
- Duty Station: Kampala
- Travel: Some travelling must be expected
How to apply:
Please, apply through www.nrc.no, then vacancies
Read more here:: ReliefWeb