Organization: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Country: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Closing date: 22 Jan 2017
The London Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees is seeking to fill the following position:
External Relations Associate (GL6)
Established in December 1950, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) is mandated to lead and coordinate international action to protect and assist refugees and other persons of concern.
In the UK, UNHCR’s External Relations work focuses on advocacy with the government and public on major policy issues relating to asylum and refugee protection in the UK as well as international response to refugee crises, emergencies and protracted situations around the world. It includes building and fostering relations with the stakeholders in policy and decision making, including the government, parliament, media, charities, non-governmental organizations, academia and general public. Providing public information about the work of UNHCR, refugees, asylum-seekers and stateless is also an essential part of UNHCR’s public facing advocacy in the UK. In support of external relations, public information and fundraising efforts in the UK, UNHCR continues to develop its digital and social media platforms.
The position is an opportunity to contribute to UNHCR’s advocacy work relating to asylum, international refugee protection and statelessness in the UK and globally and take part in building UNHCR’s image and brand recognition in the UK.
The successful candidate will be expected to:
• Develop and draft UNHCR UK public information and communications materials.
• Provide background briefings to local and international media.
• Administer UNHCR UK’s digital platforms (Web, Twitter, Facebook);
• Produce regular impact reports of UNHCR UK digital and social media platforms;
• Monitor, test and improve the UNHCR UK website and social media platforms to boost online visibility and engagement and deliver content to a growing audience;
• Keep track of evolving issues concerning persons of concern to be able to suggest stories and topics for the media to cover.
• Ensure that the office is kept informed of local developments which may have a political or operational impact on the office’s activities.
• Establish contacts with local organisations to promote general interest and understanding of refugee issues.
• May be required to compile information and SitReps received from the Field Offices and/or sections within the Office and consolidate into weekly/monthly/quarterly report.
• Prepare and, where appropriate, present briefings for various external actors including civil society, UK Parliament, and media.
• Assume any other external relations responsibilities that may be assigned by the Representative and or Senior External Relations Officer.
• Excellent research, analytical and drafting skills;
• Strong written and oral communication and advocacy skills;
• Excellent knowledge of English, working knowledge of another UN language is an asset;
• Strong knowledge of digital and social media standards and best practices;
• Knowledge of web content management systems.
• Education: University degree is desirable, preferably in communications, journalism, international relations, development.
• Work experience: At least six years of related professional experience, and preferably including some experience with external relations/communications and the use of digital and social media platforms in the UK refugee/asylum sector. UNHCR experience is also desirable.
Salary: starting from £31,108 (Income Tax-free – subjected to National Insurance contributions ONLY) depending on experience.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION: The vacant position can initially only be filled in a replacement capacity as the previous incumbent of the post has the right to return within 12 – 18 months. lable
How to apply:
A written application form (P.11), available at www.unhcr.org and covering letter is required and should be sent to Human Resources, UNHCR, 10 Furnival Street, EC4A 1AB London or emailed to email@example.com with subject External Relations Associate
Closing date for applications: Sunday, 22nd Jan. 2017
UNHCR has a policy of gender equity and equal opportunities. Recruitment is without distinction of race, sex or creed, and on a competitive basis. Candidates are required to be legally entitled to reside and work in the UK.
Acknowledgements will only be sent to short-listed candidates under serious consideration who will be required to demonstrate appropriate technical skills.
Read more here:: ReliefWeb