Organization: Creative Associates International
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 13 Jan 2017
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
The Creative Development Lab (Lab) at Creative incubates and leverages technologies for use in international development programs, for monitoring and evaluation, citizen security, community resiliency, workforce development, and learning and training. The Lab is focused on data-centered solutions. For example, the Lab helped pilot new technology built at university research labs for Creative’s electoral security practice, using manual and automated social media monitoring to help predict electoral violence.
The Data Lead is a data scientist at the Creative Development Lab to help use data in new ways, such as unstructured social media data for program design, decision making and adaptive programming. The Data Lead will augment the following capabilities at the Lab:
- Predictive analytics
- Peace and development informatics
- Sentiment analysis
- Real-time data for adaptive management
- Big data use including social media sources
- Effective use of open data repositories
- CompStat and similar tools for crime and violence reduction
- Internet of things deployments
- Citizen sensors and crowdsourced data
- Network and influence mapping
- Data driven early warning systems
The Data Lead will build a strategy of how big data can be used programmatically in Creative’s work. He or she will provide technical assistance to proposals and projects to provide data-centered solutions and decisions. The Data Lead will incubate pilots in our projects, help build partnerships with universities and research groups, use state of the analytical tools and grow vendor relations.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Data Lead will report to the Director at the Creative Development Lab. The Data Lead will work across practice areas, particularly with the Communities in Transition and Economic Growth divisions. They will also coordinate with GIS and with the Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) team.
- A strategy and work plan will be built within 3 months of start on how Creative can best capitalize on big data;
- New data centered solutions in Creative’s practice areas will be piloted via relations built with emerging vendors and research groups; and
- The program design of our proposals and projects will become measurably more data driven.
- Build a strategy of how big data can be used programmatically in Creative’s work and execute against it;
- Provide technical assistance to proposals and projects, servicing our internal clients to provide data-centered solutions;
- Build the capacity of our projects and the firm to make data-driven decisions;
- Build partnerships with universities and data research groups, and incubate pilots in our projects;
- Keep updated on client needs and what they are up to around data such as USAID’s Development Informatics (DevInfo) team;
- Contribute to forums such as Adaptive Development, participate in events such as Open Data Day DC, and position and promote the firm in this field; and
- Embody the Principles for Digital Development and help the firm to be more data driven.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum 5 years prior relevant work experience;
- Degree in data science or closely related field;
- Well versed in using state of the art tools to analyze data;
- Demonstrated ability to lead projects and drive organizational change;
- Familiarity with Information & Communication Technology for Development and M&E;
- Proven ability to implement ideas and strategies;
- Strong interpersonal skills and keen mindset to pursue and manage clients;
- Confident negotiator with vendors;
- Effective oral and written communication skills; and
- Strong analytical and organization skills.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
The ideal candidate to join the Creative Development Lab team will be an optimistic, enthusiastic team player who works well with a small innovation team with a passion for technology for development. The incumbent must be entrapreneurial and proactive, and demonstrate confidence in exploring, setting up, trying and rolling out technology. The Data Lead must be focused on accomplishing tangible results.
Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
- Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities.
How to apply:
Please apply online: https://rew21.ultipro.com/CRE1010/jobboard/NewCandidateExt.aspx?__JobID=2419
Read more here:: ReliefWeb