Organization: Population Services International
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 12 Jan 2017
Technical communications consultant – social marketing evidence base
Strategic Research & Evaluation
Based in Washington, DC
No international travel required
Reports to the Deputy Director, SR&E
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
The Strategic Research & Evaluation team fills evidence gaps around the effectiveness of social marketing to influence policy, practice, and funding. We’re responsible for evaluating “what works”.
We recently completed a systematic review of the literature on the effectiveness of social marketing interventions in five health areas: HIV, reproductive health, child health, malaria, and tuberculosis. We seek a consultant with excellent technical communications, writing and interpersonal skills and attention to detail to help us develop and implement a communications plan to disseminate the results of our work. This will involve creating new content for PSI’s website and developing other communications products that are tailored to diverse audiences.
The ideal candidate will be available in late 2016 and have a background in technical public health communications. S/he will be able to prioritize and perform multiple tasks, while working with minimal supervision and following through on assignments. Preference will be given to candidates with a demonstrated interest in global health research. Position length is 3 months.
Sound like you? Read on.
In this role the Consultant will:
- In consultation with SR&E colleagues, identify audiences and messages to accompany research findings
- Select appropriate and compelling channels for communications, including briefs, blog posts, and infographics, to effectively reach audiences
- Synthesize complex research findings to produce tailored communications for different audiences, ranging from technical expert to layperson
- With PSI’s external relations department and web developer, create content for and implement updates to the PSI website
- Develop a communications plan which synthesizes messages, audiences, communications products, and channels into a detailed workplan for implementation by consultant and SR&E
- Consultant is expected to work in Q1 of 2017.
What are we looking for?
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-5 years of relevant work experience
- Demonstrated experience developing communications plans. Experience in health communications preferred
- Experience writing technical documents (research briefs, learning notes, program reports)
- Ability to synthesize information into meaningful messages for various audiences
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work collaboratively with others
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Knowledge of or keen interest in global health
What would get us excited?
- Demonstrated research, knowledge translation, and/or data visualization experience
- Skilled at delivering results on short timelines
- Ability to think strategically and prioritize competing demands
- Experience with WordPress or similar web platforms
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
How to apply:
Read more here:: ReliefWeb