Organization: Social Impact
Closing date: 03 Mar 2017
Local Monitoring and Verification Specialist for the USAID/Afghanistan Monitoring and Support Project for Southern and Western Afghanistan
Social Impact (SI) is a Washington, DC-area international development management consulting firm. SI’s mission is to improve the effectiveness of international development programs in improving people’s lives. We provide a full range of management consulting, technical assistance, and training services to strengthen international development programs, organizations, and policies. We provide services globally in the areas of monitoring and evaluation, strategic planning, project and program design, organizational capacity building, and gender and social analysis. SI services cross-cut all development sectors including democracy and governance, health and education, the environment, and economic growth. SI’s clients include US government agencies such as USAID, the Millennium Challenge Corporation, the US Department of State, bilateral donors, multilateral development banks, foundations, and non-profits.
IDS International and SI are conducting the five year Afghanistan Monitoring and Support Project (MSP), which covers the regions of Southern and Western Afghanistan. The overall objective of MSP/SW is to provide USAID/Afghanistan with additional performance monitoring data on project implementation, through the design and implementation of a wide range of monitoring tools. Through monitoring, the SI/IDS team will provide USAID/Afghanistan with sufficient, accurate, and verified information on the progress of technical projects within its portfolio. Currently, the project is in its second year with ongoing monitoring and verification efforts in progress.
The local Monitoring and Verification (M&V) Specialist will be embedded within the MSP/SW team in Kabul. The M&V Specialist will report to the Chief of Party and the Social Impact Program Manager.
The local M&V Specialist will be engaged as a subject matter expert and must have familiarity with USAID’s M&E policies, tools, procedures, and requirements. The candidate is required to have knowledge of different data collection methodologies, field research experience in either or both Southern and Western Afghanistan, experience in monitoring donor activities, analyzing data for accuracy, experience with gender sensitive approaches to data collection, and other related monitoring and performance experience. This position reports to the Chief of Party, Deputy Chief of Party, and SI Program Manager.
**Please note: This is a local position. Only Afghani citizens will be considered.
For this assignment the local M&V Specialist will assist the MSP/SW team with implementing the sub-activities and tasks. In order to ensure successful completion, this assignment will include:
- Work with the MSP/SW team to develop a crosswalk of the priority IP performance indicator data and USAID’s PMP indicators so that each USAID indicator lists the IPs reporting on the indicator, the individual targets, the aggregated targets, and any gaps, weaknesses, discrepancies between IPs and USAID, and among IPs reporting on the same indicators become clear.
- Work with the MSP/SW team to design or customize data collection instruments and methods, with a focus on monitoring and verification activities.
- Provide inputs to the MSP/SW Capacity Building Specialist on the contents of training curricula focused on both internal and external M&E staff.
- Provide input to MSP/SW team on developing procedures to review quarterly reporting by IPs through Afghani Info to feed into the design of the verification sampling plan.
- Work with the MSP/SW team to develop a sampling plan for verification and monitoring activities on a quarterly basis.
- Help develop and then manage the MSP/SW site visit calendar, and the selection and use of technology tools to conduct verification activities.
- Conduct quality assurance/quality control oversight of M&V reports and data collection efforts.
- Submit reports and input on MSP/SW reports as required.
- Experience guiding the development and administration of data collection instruments, data collection/reporting protocols, and QC/QA procedures.
- Experience working in MSP/SW’s geographic areas (Southern and/or Western Afghanistan – Badghis, Farah, Ghor, Helmand, Kandahar, Nimroz, Uruzgan, Zabul, etc.
- Solid background in the USAID monitoring and evaluation procedures and requirements
- Previous experience with USAID implementing partners, particularly with field-based M&V systems.
- Familiarity with using mobile devices and GPS to collect data, preferable.
- Ability to clearly and consistently organize, manage and present complex information to a broad array of target audiences.
- Ability to write comprehensive and routine reports for various target audiences.
- Strong data analysis and fusion skills.
- Knowledge management, database design, knowledge of software packages commonly used for data analysis (SAS, STATA and/or SPSS), preferred
- Knowledge of qualitative analysis software (NVIVO, etc.) and GIS systems (ArcGIS, Q-GIS, etc.), preferred
- Strong facilitation, teaching, and coaching skills related to M&V.
- Ability to work independently and to perform and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Ability to work collaboratively and collegially with teams of varying skills in a cross-cultural environment.
- Ability to draw science-based conclusions and make recommendations based on research and findings.
- Master’s, or higher, university degree in relevant subject areas (Foreign Affairs, Economics, Statistics, Public policy, International development, or a related field) and six (6) years of proven work experience in the field of monitoring and evaluation (M&E) and/or institutional capacity building; OR Bachelors university degree in in relevant subject areas (Foreign Affairs, Economics, Statistics, Public policy, International development, or a related field) and eight (8) years of proven work experience in the field of M&E and/or institutional capacity building.
- Experience leading research or data collection in Afghanistan or similar environments.
Demonstrated familiarity with USAID M&E tools, policies, procedures, data quality requirements, and developing M&E systems for USAID and/or implementing partners.
M&V skills and experience with M&V systems, desirable but not required.
Demonstrated knowledge in USAID/Afghanistan’s relevant technical/sectoral areas (health, education, agriculture, economics, engineering, democracy and governance).
Excellent oral and written communication skills.
Fluency in English is required
Come join our energetic and innovative team! We offer you the opportunity to play a leading role in the growth of our company, work as part of a creative and committed team, and make a difference in the well-being of our world.
To learn more about Social Impact, please visit our website: http://www.socialimpact.com
Only selected candidates will be contacted for an interview. Please, no phone calls.
How to apply:
Please apply through this link.
Read more here:: ReliefWeb