Organization: Internews Network
Country: El Salvador
Closing date: 28 Feb 2017
Internews Network is seeking a Technical Director for a USAID-funded program in El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras to build the capacity of local media and promote freedom of expression throughout the region. The Technical Director will report to and work closely with the Project Director to ensure that program operations are efficient, effective, high-quality, and compliant with all USAID regulations. S/he will provide technical guidance to Internews’ programs; coordinate technical, legal and professional capacity building assistance to partners and beneficiaries; ensure proper oversight of Internews training programs; and coordinate with other relevant stakeholders in the region to ensure that Internews identifies and meet the regions necessities as a media development initiative
The Technical Director will also be responsible for elaborate methodologies and tools, and conduct key assessments and research in the Central American region. The position is based in El Salvador and requires a full-time commitment for approximately the two-year life of the project. Applicants would need to be available starting on or about February 15, 2017.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following; other duties may be assigned:
- Provide technical and operational assistance to ensure that activities are meeting their goals and targets, including recommending program adjustments when necessary to keep the project on track.
- Identify potential subgrantees and work with partners to develop project proposals and budgets.
- Assist with all aspects of subgrant management, including the review of grantee due diligence and risk assessment, internal review process, tracking and overall monitoring of subgrant plans and activities.
- Cultivate and strengthen relationships with local partner organizations and ensure that implementation is responsive to the needs of partners and beneficiaries.
- Track and report project progress and activities monthly against work plans.
- Assist with developing and approving curricula for trainings as well as overseeing, managing, and monitoring trainings led by consultants and/or local trainers.
- Oversee program monitoring and evaluation in the region to ensure effective implementation and to measure the impact of activities.
- Maintain a thorough knowledge of media issues in the region and a general understanding of the challenges and opportunities facing media across the region.
- Ensure the project is in compliance with all cooperative agreement rules, requirements and regulations as well as with Internews internal policies and procedures.
- Serve as the primary budget authority over the project, responsible for ensuring all costs charged to the project are allowable, reasonable and correctly allocated.
- Provide management and oversight of daily operations of the program, in particular with regard to coordination of activities and events at the regional level.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws.
- Maintain regular communications with Internews headquarters staff to communicate progress on programming and address upcoming issues in advance.
- Serve as primary project and organizational liaison with USAID and the U.S. Embassy in El Salvador, as well as other international donors active in the region.
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required; a Master’s Degree in media / journalism, political science, international development, law, public administration, economics, or related fields is preferred.
- A minimum of 6 years of progressively responsible media development experience, including working with media organizations; an understanding of media and telecommunications law and policy; integration of technology into media development programs and/or investigative journalism are a plus.
- Demonstrated experience in the management and supervision of administrative project staff; management of local subcontractors and consultants; coordination of project reporting and sharing results and successes – is required.
- Experience with USAID- and/or US government-funded programs required; senior-level management of USAID-funded programs strongly preferred.
- Experience with sub grants management and local partners relations; Capacity establish professional and collaborative relationships with counterparts, the Contractor’s Home Office, and partners; Ability to collaborate with diverse actors in government and civil society.
- Professional proficiency in written and spoken English and Spanish is required.
- Previous experience developing collaborative working relationships with counterparts, international organizations and donors.
- Development experience in the LAC region (5+ years preferred).
- Working experience and knowledge of El Salvador, Guatemala and Honduras is preferred.
- A successful track record in supervising, designing, managing and implementing technical assistance for donor-funded, cross-border media projects and proven ability to develop, implement, and monitor work plans, training plans, monitoring and evaluation plans, and procurement plans.
- Experience as a manager or trainer with professional capacity-building programs for journalists and media outlets and strong knowledge of new media preferred.
- Experience managing local staff.
- Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills including diplomacy, tact, and the ability to negotiate.
- Excellent communication skills: speaking, writing, and listening.
- Proven ability to prioritize, handle multiple on-going assignments, and manage time effectively.
This position is being offered and hired by Internews Network. Benefits will be consistent with Internews Network’s offerings and will be reviewed during the hiring process. Additional information can be found on our About Working for Internews page.
How to apply:
To apply, please visit our Career Center.
Read more here:: ReliefWeb