Organization: German Red Cross
Closing date: 20 Jan 2017
The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects internationally on appeals of their sister organizations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking a Communication Delegate for the MENA region, with a focus on Syria and neighboring countries.
Duration: 12 month starting on the 1.3.2017
Responsibilities and tasks:
The Communication Delegate will be responsible for public relations of GRC operations in the MENA region and act as main focal point for journalists interested in the work of the Red Cross and Red Crescent (RC/RC) Movement in general and of GRC in particular.
- To support the German Red Cross Delegates in all questions concerning public relations (PR), communication (media, public, political stakeholders, donors, RC/RC Movement)
- To design communication activities for the projects and follow up during the implementation phase in close coordination with the respective delegates
- To produce high quality content, including information on GRC’s work and the work of RC/RC in general on the website and in the social media through multimedia content, regular online stories, website updates, and project fact sheets
- To provide high quality photo and video material of ongoing projects
- To develop and implement a communication workplan
- To monitor, evaluate and report the impact of GRC’s communication activities (use and effectiveness) and maintain a library of media coverage, clippings etc.
- To support and facilitate the work of German media covering GRC activities including identification and provision of interview-partners
- To strengthen coordination and cooperation with IFRC and ICRC communication focal points in the MENA region
- To identify and to support capacity building initiatives within the Host National Societies (HNS) related to communication strategies and media production
- To conduct media-related trainings for staff of HNS and GRC staff
- To assist in developing and maintaining GRC’s internal knowledge base and contribute to the content of e.g. situation reports
- To ensure that visibility guidelines by the different donors and partners are adhered to and that there is always sufficient “visibility content” for interim or final reports to the respective donor
- Support HNS and RC/RC Movement communication needs as requested
- Advanced university degree (master’s or equivalent) in public relations, international relations, journalism, development studies or related field At least 5 years of professional work experience in designing and executing communication, preferably in the field of Humanitarian Work Proficient command in German and English
- Excellent written and communication skills, editing, proofreading, layout and design
- Advanced skills with a camera (photos and videos)
- Demonstrated professional experience in an international or cross-cultural environment with a focus on multi-channel communication
- Extensive knowledge of systems, techniques and methodologies used for communication including large-scale social media experience
- Result oriented and demand driven, ability to set clear goals and measure progress towards achieving them
- Experience in leading communication activities in a complex environment
- Adherence to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles
- Self-motivated with a positive and professional approach to management
- Proactive worker who is able to develop and implement ideas
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Experience in the Middle East is an asset
- Willingness to work in a complex and dynamic environment
- Excellent physical and mental health with the ability to complete a thorough medical screening process.
GRC offers you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC as well as an expatriation allowance during your mission. Depending on the post specific situation we either provide you with an accommodation or a personal allowance to cover your accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package (health insurance for residence abroad, private accident insurance, private liability insurance, luggage insurance) GRC is as well covering a home flight within a 12-month period of assignment and medical check-ups before and after your mission. Before your assignment you will benefit from a comprehensive training package and receive briefings and coaching prior as well as during and after your mission.
How to apply:
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HRnet until 20.01.2017.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2017 – 001 with your application.
Further information on our recruiting procedure can be found on our homepage.
Read more here:: ReliefWeb