Organization: Mercy Corps
Closing date: 04 Feb 2017
About Mercy Corps
Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions
into action — helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
Now, and for the future.
Program / Department Summary
Mercy Corps has been present in Turkey since 2013, focusing its interventions on protection and youth development. With funding from a variety of institutional and private donors, Mercy Corps has been working with communities in Turkey to respond to emergency needs, improve vulnerable households’ access to services, and build the skills of the new generation of refugee and host communities, bringing benefit to more than 50,000 beneficiaries.
General Position Summary
The Information and Communication Advisor will oversee the extension and roll-out of Mercy Corps Turkey flagship information dissemination project – MALUMAT – into a second and third Turkish location of Izmir and Istanbul. MALUMAT has been operational in Gaziantep, southeast Turkey, for 24 months, successfully building a project that distributes accurate targeted service information for the Gaziantep Syrian refugee and vulnerable Turkish host community via online, direct and face-to-face outreach programming. S/he will be responsible for ensuring rollout into new project locations, identifying network opportunities, supporting current information and communication project managers and executing a communication and information strategy that is location specific. The successful candidate will enforce brand consistency and styling and setting-up/building the capacity of existing information and communication teams that will be tasked with overseeing and managing MALUMATs internal and external communication and its information programming. S/he will provide technical guidance in the development and implementation of Gaziantep, Izmir and Istanbul based information and communication teams’ workplans, and communication-related budgetary resources.
Essential Job Responsibilities
Strategy & Vision
- Recognize opportunities for innovative action and create an environment where alternative viewpoints are welcomed.
- Set direction by prioritizing and organizing actions & resources to achieve objectives and contribute to countrywide strategy development.
- Demonstrate flexibility, resilience and ability to maintain positive relationships and composure.
- Maintain high ethical standards and treat people with respect and dignity.
- Demonstrate an awareness of his/her own strengths and development needs.
- Manage the roll-out of MALUMAT information dissemination project into two new Turkish locations
- Provide technical and supervisory oversight to the development of protection-oriented digital and print communication (informational brochures, social media content, etc.) in all three locations
- Develop guidance, templates and other tools as needed to support the Information and Communication Teams’ work, based on the Turkey program information strategy
- Provide remote support for the roll-out of the information brand in other program locations in Turkey
- Draft and implement contingency communications plans for the program in coordination with the Program Manager
- Build the capacity of information and communication teams in each location, through training and workshops based on identified needs
- Adhere to Mercy Corps’ safety and security policy and protocols at all times.
- As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically
to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Supervisory Responsibility n/a
Reports Directly To: Director of Programs, Turkey
Works Directly With: Program Managers, Protection & Gender Advisor, MEL Manager, field-based security, logistics and finance teams, HQ-based Program Operations, Finance, and TSU staff
Knowledge and Experience
- BA/BS in relevant field (communication, marketing, journalism, international relations, etc.).
- Experience coordinating internal, external and outreach communication .
- 3-5 years of experience with monitoring, evaluation, and report writing to US and EC donors.
- Experience with representation and liaison with donors and peer organizations.
- 2-3 years’ experience in post-conflict/emergency-type programs.
- Ability to work in a sometimes solitary environment with moderate to high levels of insecurity and restrictions on personal movement.
- Ability and desire to learn languages: English competency required; Turkish and/or Arabic language skills preferred.
- Excellent computer skills required.
- Ability to deliver high quality products with short deadlines.
- Ability to multi-task and juggle several tasks and relationships at one time.
- Excellent communication skills, experience in representing an organization.
- Must be able to work legally in Turkey.
The successful Advisor will combine exceptional leadership skills and communication experience. S/he will have an outstanding ability to develop and train on tools for external communication. S/he will also have proven experience with cross-cultural team and capacity building, individual staff development and strong mentoring skills. Prioritizing, problem solving, ability to seize opportunities, attention to detail and strategic vision are essential. The most successful Mercy Corps staff members have a strong commitment to teamwork and accountability, thrive in evolving and changing environments and make effective written and verbal communication a priority in all situations.
Living Conditions / Environmental Conditions
The position is based in Istanbul, Turkey. This position is unaccompanied. Housing is individual accommodation with unlimited freedom of movement beyond the house/office. Staff will have good access to medical services, electricity, water, etc. This position requires 60% of travel by plane to field offices in sometimes less secure environments. Mercy Corps team members represent the agency both during and outside work hours when deployed in a field posting or on a visit/TDY to a field posting. Team members are expected to conduct themselves in a professional manner and respect local laws, customs and MC’s policies, procedures, and values at all times and in all in-country venues.
How to apply:
Read more here:: ReliefWeb