Organization: Population Services International
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 16 Feb 2017
Based in Washington, D.C.
Up to 20**%** international travel
Reports to the Regional Director with dotted line management from DC Finance.
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from mosquito nets to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
Though contested by other departments, the EA team is clearly the best at PSI. EA is known as the innovation lab, a place where exciting new ideas in global health are tested. Currently, we have programs operating in Angola, Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Somaliland, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda.
We are looking for a Financial Manager (FM) to help us provide strategic support to PSI’s programs in East Africa. We are looking for someone passionate about numbers, who has done high level financial analysis and believes that “the devil is in the details”.
The position will form part of a regional backstopping team based in DC and Nairobi and will be expected to interact regularly with the Regional Office in Nairobi, the field offices in the region, as well as other departments in Washington including Contracts, Finance and Procurement.
Sound like you? Read on.
Serve as a finance and compliance champion for EA and strategic liaison to the DC Finance and Grants and Contracts teams to:
- Identify and develop financial analysis tools for the RST & country offices to improve financial management in collaboration with DC Finance.
- Provide the DC Finance team with feedback to help them develop field finance policies and procedures, during both development and implementation of guidance;
- Present quarterly AR and Surplus/Deficit tracking and variance analysis and forecasting to senior management and manage follow up to outstanding issues resulting from the review.
- Assist the Program Manager with the Annual Operating Budget (AOB) process;
- Work with the Program Manager to manage the EA Overhead budget
- Provide regional budgeting and financial compliance guidance to APMs and other program staff (i.e. minimum LOE coverage standards)
- Coordinate with DC Finance team in the implementation of finance initiatives, such as in country departmental budgeting.
- Analysis of Program Income and Enterprise Accounts vs. AOB in conjunction with the Senior Marketing Finance Manager.
In collaboration with the two Financial Analysts (FAs) and the Subaward Associate Program Manager oversee and support:
- Quarterly analysis of regional financial status and trends, cross-cutting regional financial issues, labor analysis, revenue analysis, and special projects (inclusive of representing EA at finance working groups), leading to improve overall regional financial management;
- Compilation of financial dashboard analysis and present to EA backstopping team;
- Coordination with DC Finance and country finance teams to resolve suspense balances by country on a monthly basis;
- Ensure that correcting entries and/or accruals are appropriately prepared and supported prior to submission for approval; prepare entries if necessary;
- Approval for country office Operating Advance Requests (OAR) requests and monitor country office cash on hand;
- Coordination and review of the funder billing process in close coordination with country offices and DC Finance Department ensuring all bills are submitted on time and are of high quality, and are appropriately supported by necessary narrative reports in conjunction with the Program Manager;
- Tracking of status of financial reports using PSI’s internal deliverable tracking system;
- Management of responses to funder queries regarding PSI financial reports in close coordination with country office, DC Finance and EA program staff.
- Provide financial analysis to EA senior members and country network members
- Ensure subaward policies are rolled-out and implemented in conjunction with the subaward APM, following guidance and procedures that are established by the Senior Technical Advisor, Subaward Compliance and the Grants & Contracts Department.
Support corporate/regional strategic initiatives as they relate to financial matters, including but not limited to:
- In conjunction with the Senior Marketing Finance Manager support regional condom brand financial analysis to ensure cost efficiencies, cost recovery, and regularly provide trend analysis
- In conjunction with the Senior Marketing Finance Manager support countries with enterprise fund analysis, growth and development opportunities
- Support Program Analytics on cost analysis on health impact (cost per CYP, DALY, etc.) for countries and region on an as need basis to help countries maximize efficiencies and savings
- Supervise the two Financial Analysts support opportunities for growth and development;
- Serve as mentor to new FAs, backstopping and finance network members by providing training on an as needed basis in functional areas.
What are we looking for?
- Master’s degree in Finance (MBA, MS, etc.) strongly preferred; however, equivalent experience may suffice.
- Minimum 5+ years of professional work experience.
- At least three years of management experience, including supervision of staff.
- You pay attention to details and focus on quality and consistency.
- French or Portuguese language skills are a bonus.
- You don’t wait to be told what to do. You see a need and you meet it, you’re bold.
- You have excellent writing skills in English; you are able to communicate complex financial activities and presenting to a large and diverse audience of varying financial knowledge
- You love excel, and love to use excel functions, formulas, v-look ups etc
Icing on the cake
- You have experience in financial oversight of foreign entities and Sub Recipients; experience with Quickbooks and Infor Lawson.
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills; you feel comfortable speaking up when you have something important to say and have the ability to effectively interact with senior management.
- Mind for Process Improvement. You bring awareness and commitment to doing work effectively and efficiently. We want people who will see a way to streamline or improve a process and who won’t hesitate to share their ideas in making it happen.
- Champion of Fun. You support the idea that the team that works hard should play hard. We like people with a team attitude who smile and encourage others through both easy and tough tasks.
References will be required. Must be authorized to work in the United States. N.B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
- Level 6
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
How to apply:
Read more here:: ReliefWeb