Organization: HALO Trust
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 30 Jan 2017
The HALO Trust (USA) is seeking a Head of Development (based in Washington, D.C. or New York) to develop its portfolio of major donors, including foundations, corporations and individuals to support its life-saving work.
The HALO Trust employs over 6,500 people in 19 countries to create safe and secure environments in war torn communities by clearing landmines, managing stockpiles of weapons and destroying unexploded ordnance.
The HALO Trust (USA) is seeking a Head of Development to develop its portfolio of major donors, including foundations, corporations and individuals.
The Head of Development will research and identify new donors, tailor communications and cultivate approaches, personally solicit large individual gifts, monitor income targets, provide fundraising advice and support to the USA Board, and implement donor management and retention strategies for their portfolio.
This role requires a self-starter and team-player able to work as part of a small, highly active global team. The individual should have a track-record of raising over $1m annually within the USA, ideally for non-profits focused on international development or overseas humanitarian aid, and experience soliciting high net worth donors. The ideal candidate must possess strong interpersonal skills, and be diplomatic, trustworthy, of the highest integrity, and possess sound judgment.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the post-holder will work in coordination with the USA team and colleagues in the UK and overseas programs. The post is supported by a Fundraising Officer at HALO’s office in Washington, D.C.
- Manage an existing portfolio of major donors, and develop new prospects including high net worth individuals, foundations and corporations.
- Collaborate with colleagues in the USA and UK to design, develop, plan, oversee and evaluate donor/prospect identification, cultivation, solicitation, gift closure and recognition.
- Set up and attend donor meetings within the USA to cultivate relationships with donors and prospects.
- Work with colleagues to plan and deliver USA fundraising and cultivation events.
- Support members of the USA board in their fundraising activities
- Develop relationships with the HALO communications team, HQ and overseas programs to develop grant and gift proposals, and provide appropriate reporting to donors.
- Work closely with colleagues in the USA to manage donor correspondence and reporting, and oversee donor recordkeeping for their portfolio.
- Proven personal track record of fundraising success in the USA for overseas humanitarian or development work. The ideal candidate will have at least 5 years’ experience in a fundraising role.
- An ability to learn and communicate the issues fundamental to HALO’s work, both globally and in specific country contexts.
- Financial and commercial understanding of USA fundraising approaches.
- Proven ability to plan and execute major gift activities.
- Excellent prospect research skills, and an ability to identify and tailor approaches to diverse sources of potential donors, with support from HALO’s overseas programs.
- A skilled networker and negotiator, able to adapt the message to varying audiences, communicate the varying environments in which HALO works, and explain the wider context of HALO’s work.
- Excellent writing skills and an ability to produce accurate copy to suit a variety of contexts.
- Experienced developing individual donor and grant proposals in line with donor requirements.
- Proactive and self-motivated with exceptional planning skills.
- Ability to prioritize and deliver to tight deadlines.
- Ability to work with fundraising databases such as Salesforce
- Management knowledge of development operations and other forms of fundraising such as direct marketing a plus
- Flexibility to travel regularly within the USA, and potentially overseas
How to apply:
Please apply using the following link
Read more here:: ReliefWeb