Organization: Norwegian Refugee Council
Closing date: 17 Feb 2017
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is a non-governmental, humanitarian organization which provides assistance and protection to people affected by displacement due to conflict, disaster and climate change. Operating in Afghanistan since 2003, NRC has offices in 9 provinces Balkh, Faryab, Herat, Kabul, Kandahar, Khost, Kunduz, Nangarhar and Badghis and actively promotes humanitarian access in order to reach more people in need. We work with Afghan returnees, refugees, internally displaced persons (IDPs) and other displacement-affected communities to build resilience and reduce vulnerability through Information Counselling and Legal Assistance (ICLA) education, livelihoods, shelter, WASH and emergency response programming.
The purpose of the Emergency Manager is to lead the different emergency response initiatives in the mission. The position includes management of the emergency technical support team, technical development of the emergency response, strategic direction and quality assurance and close coordination with the core competence specialists in their areas of expertise. Support the coordination of the Emergency Response Mechanism.
- Develop emergency response strategy for the country
- Ensure the quality and efficiency of NRC’s emergency response in Afghanistan
- Responsible of the contingency planning and preparedness activities
- Contribute to core competence strategies with emergency focus
- Develop Macro LFA and guidance for proposals
- Compliance with and adherence to NRC policies, guidance and procedures
- Contribute to fundraising, develop and revise funding proposal, budgets and donor reports
- Identify trends technical standards and donor priorities
- Follow up on compliance with contractual commitments within Emergency response, ensure high technical quality and synergies in project implementation
- Provide technical direction and project implementation support
- Ensure that key learning are extracted from Emergency response implementation, and incorporate them in emergency response and staff development processes
- Ensure systematic training and build capacity of technical staff
- Represent NRC in relevant forums/clusters, including with national authorities and donors
Promote the rights of IDPs/returnees in line with the advocacy strategy
Experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
Minimum 4 years of Emergency Response expertise
Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
Knowledge about own leadership skills/profile
Fluency in English, both written and verbal
Experience with Rapid/Emergency Response Mechanism (Management)
Knowledge of the Afghan context
Strong M&E background
Experience with cash as aid modality
Experience of direct implementation
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organisation’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity and accountability.
- Commencement: April 2017
- Contract period: 12 months, with possibiliy of extention
- Salary/benefits: According to NRC’s International terms and conditions.
- Duty station: Kabul, with frequent travel to the NRC field offices and emergency response sites throughout Afghanistan. This is an unaccompanied post/non-family duty station, with shared accommodation of moderate standard.
- Due to high levels of insecurity, recreational and social facilities are very limited.
- All international staff working in Afghanistan are obliged to pay income tax.
- Medical certificate will be required before contract commencement.
How to apply:
For more information and how to apply go to : www.nrc.no/vacancies
Read more here:: ReliefWeb