Posted by: Friends of Ruwenzori Foundation
San Francisco, CA, US
The mission of Friends of Ruwenzori Foundation (FORF) is to reduce preventable deaths and foster healthy living among the people of the Ruwenzori foothills of Uganda by supporting the rural region’s only local hospital and health and empowerment programs.
We do this by raising funds in the United States to support the Kitojo Integrated Development Association (KIDA), a Uganda-based nonprofit. KIDA was founded by the local people in 1999 to provide prevention, teaching and counseling services in a country devastated by the AIDS epidemic. KIDA’s 30-bed community hospital was built, equipped and staffed in 2011, and this was followed by a healthcare cooperative in 2015. Since residents of this remote region face a variety of interrelated challenges to their well-being, KIDA takes a holistic approach that combines inpatient and outpatient medical services with community education, job training, small business loans, and education of orphans and other vulnerable children. KIDA’s vision for their community is “empowered people taking care of their own lives.”
In 2016 Friends of Ruwenzori raised more than $270,000, primarily from individual donors. The organization’s main fundraising event is the Green and Yellow Festival, held in Piedmont, CA each October. The 140-person annual event features dinner, silent and live auctions, games, and more.
The Director of Development and Program Management (DDPM) plays a key role in the growth and success of the organization by providing leadership toward the creation and achievement of annual operating plans, guiding the development and execution of fundraising and financial plans, providing effective reporting for the Executive Director and the Board, and managing the day-to-day treasury and administrative activities of the organization.
The DDPM reports to the Executive Director (ED) of the Friends of Ruwenzori Foundation, and works closely with both the Board and the Executive Director in fulfilling the organization’s mission. The DDPM must also be able to perform the duties of ED in the event of an unplanned absence.
Key Job Responsibilities
Fundraising & Marketing
- Deliver key fundraising targets, including earned, contributed and event income goals.
- Develop and execute an annual Fundraising Plan.
- Guide the execution of key fundraising events and activities, including the annual Green & Yellow Festival.
- Research and develop grant applications to appropriate institutional and corporate funders.
- Maintain the Friends of Ruwenzori Foundation website, updating content as appropriate and leveraging the evolving success stories, results and updates from KIDA.
- Create and manage online and direct mail fundraising campaigns to individual donors.
- Publish regular updates to our funders and supporters through e-mail newsletters and social media.
- Coordinate volunteers to support fundraising events and mission trips.
- Guide the development of the annual Financial Plan.
- Provide monthly financial reporting to the Executive Director and the Board, including recommendations for changes in plans to achieve financial objectives.
- Manage financial treasury and administrative activities, including: recording and depositing funds received, entering donations into our funder database, and paying bills and managing expenses.
- Program Evaluation and Planning
- Work with KIDA to evaluate the impact of key programs in Uganda, and guide recommendations for funding priorities and levels.
- Work with KIDA staff to identify existing program improvement opportunities, as well as potential opportunities for new funding initiatives.
- Develop ongoing collaborative relationship with key KIDA staff.
- Provide input to the Executive Director in the development of long-range strategic plans.
Board and Volunteer Management
- Participate in Board Meetings and key Board Committee Meetings as directed.
- Solicit and coordinate Friends of Ruwenzori Foundation volunteers, ensuring appropriate volunteers and skill sets to support key fundraising activities.
- Design and manage volunteer appreciation events to retain ongoing volunteer participation.
Candidates should have demonstrated capability in the following areas:
Knowledge/Experience in Field
- Demonstrated interest in health and community welfare in developing countries
- Not-for-Profit Management
- General Management
Business and Financial Judgment
- Financial Management and Budgeting Skills, including fundamental bookkeeping and financial reporting
- Strong analytical and decision-making skills
- Able to develop Points of View to effectively influence others’ thinking and drive decisions.
- Takes a positive approach to resolving problems/issues, acting as a role model for the organization.
- Able to foster a motivating and successful team environment; builds trust, fosters collaboration, leverages others’ skills, and respects diverse points of view.
- Able to guide and manage leveraging the diverse perspectives of the board, staff, and partners. Delegates effectively to build team capacity and individual capability.
Organization & Planning
- Ability to plan and deliver multiple projects concurrently
- Demonstrated focus on delivering results
- Able to manage time and work independently
The DDPM is expected to provide their own telephone and broadband Internet service. The organization will provide a monthly allowance toward these expenses.
The DDPM occasionally travels within the San Francisco Bay Area in support of fundraising activities. The DDPM should also be willing and able to participate in 2-3 week trips to Uganda to assess programs and strengthen relationships, on an annual or biennial basis.
Read more here:: Idealist