Posted by: Mary’s Place
Seattle, WA, US
Mary’s Place empowers homeless women, children, and families to reclaim their lives. We operate a women’s day center, a 24×7 family center, and six emergency family night shelters in Seattle. We serve hundreds of families–moms, dads, and children–providing a safe place for them to be inside, together at night, along with food, showers, clothing, and access to housing and employment resources.
We are seeking a responsible and energetic individual with a passion for serving families experiencing homelessness. The Diversion Specialist will provide shelter diversion services aimed to quickly house families who are experiencing homelessness to avoid the need to enter emergency shelter. The Diversion Specialist will work individually with families to identify solutions and alternative housing arrangements that quickly resolve the family’s housing crisis through a combination of direct service and financial assistance. This position will be based at the Mary’s Place Front Door program at the Bell Street location but will also do mobile outreach as needed.
- Provide resource referral and follow-up assistance to families experiencing unsheltered homelessness
- Work in partnership with outreach providers to connect with unsheltered families in need of diversion services
- Embrace Housing First principles and implement programming that promotes those principals
- Travel throughout King County to meet with clients where they are residing
- Assist families in advocating for their needs and accessing services and resources
- Act as a liaison between families, support services, landlords, and involved community agencies and maintain ongoing communication with other providers as needed
- Conduct a needs assessment with each family and work to create an individualized service plan based on identified goals
- Review and actively monitor families in making progress toward meeting identified goals
- Assist families to creatively identify solutions and alternate housing arrangements that quickly resolves their housing crisis
- Assess the financial situation of families and their need for supportive services such as employment assistance, budgeting, and/or credit repair
- Provide support for families as necessary to secure safe and stable housing, providing financial assistance where necessary
- Accurately document and track all financial assistance, including completed requests for client assistance
- Complete three-month follow up assessments with families that have been assisted through this program
- Maintain accurate and confidential guest records and electronic files in required database systems
- Maintain accurate and timely statistics and documentation to meet program goals and contractual requirements
- Participate in regular staff meetings
- Embrace the Mary’s Place mission of empowering homeless families and adhere to staff guidelines as outlined in the Employee Handbook
- Perform other duties as assigned
- College degree in social services or related field; experience working in a shelter setting or with homeless population strongly desired
- Basic knowledge of Housing First principles
- Demonstrated problem solving, conflict mediation, and crisis management skills
- Ability to manage agency funds with discretion and accuracy
- Demonstrated ability to understand funder requirements and the importance of accurate and timely data collection/entry
- Ability to work independently in a self-directed manner and as part of a team
- Access to reliable transportation, valid driver’s license vehicle insurance that meets Washington State’s minimum guidelines, and the ability and willingness to travel throughout King County on a daily basis
- Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends in response to family needs
- Willingness and ability to work with people from a variety of racial, cultural, social and economic backgrounds with various lifestyles, sexual orientations, and of all ages and genders.
This is a full-time position requiring 40 hours a week, including some evenings, weekends and holidays. $17-19/hour DOE, benefits package included. Mary’s Place is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Read more here:: Idealist