Organization: Ethiopian Agricultural Transformation Agency
Closing date: 31 Mar 2017
Internal Vacancy Announcement
ETHIOPIAN AGRICULTURAL TRANSFORMATION AGENCY
Position: Director-Project Management
Term of Employment: One year with possibility of extension
Duty Station(s): Addis Ababa
Required Number: One
Salary & Benefits: Competitive
Application Deadline: March 31, 2017
The Agricultural Transformation Agency (ATA) has been established by the Government of Ethiopia (GoE) to identify and address systemic bottlenecks to Ethiopia’s agricultural development. The Agency does this through problem-solving, implementation support, and capacity building of stakeholders involved in implementation of interventions that address the systemic bottlenecks. The Agency reports to the Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources and is Secretary to the Transformation Council chaired by the Prime Minister.
The programmatic focus of the Agency responds to a core set of needs identified by the Agricultural Transformation Council, chaired by the Prime Minister. Within the Agency, issues are divided into four differentpillars*: Production and Productivity which includes Inputs and Crop Protection, Livestock, Research and Extension, Mechanization and Rural Finance; Environmentally Sustainable and Inclusive Agricultural Growth including Sustainable Irrigation**and**Watershed Management, Sustainable Land Management, Gender and Nutrition, Climate Change**Adaptation and Mitigation, Targeted Livelihood Support, Biodiversity**and**(temporarily)* Planning and MLE; Agribusiness and Markets including Market Services, Commercial and Contract Farming, Domestic & Export Market Development, and Cooperatives; and Enhanced Implementation Capacity which includes ICT for Agricultural Services, Private Sector in Agriculture, and Organizational and Human Resource Capacity. In addition, the* Agricultural Commercialization Clusters Initiative is another critical focus area for the Agency. Across the programs, the ATA engages public, private and non-governmental stakeholders to support strategic planning, manage and strengthen implementation capacity and test innovative models.*
We have an exceptional team of highly competent employees with a proven track record of success in managing complex activities and achieving transformational results. Our culture is one where talented, dedicated and adaptable individuals are committed to doing their best and exhibit great team work to achieve excellent results.
At ATA, we provide an exceptional platform for people who want to achieve their highest potential and make a meaningful contribution in changing the country’s agricultural sector. We offer rewarding work in a young, fast-paced growing organization with passionate, committed, motivated colleagues and excellent career development and training. We recognize our most valuable assets are our staff and are committed to providing our employees with the tools, training and mentorships necessary to achieve their career goals.
The Director, Project Management will manage a team of project management experts who will support the ATA’s program teams as well as external stakeholders in the agriculture sector to execute on high priority project that are intended to accelerate the transformation of Ethiopia’s agriculture sector. The Director, Project Management will work closely with the senior leadership team to identify specific projects and activities that require enhanced support for execution and will provide the technical support and expertise required to execute these projects effectively. In some special circumstances, the Project Management team will also incubate and directly manage complex projects for a limited period of time in order to ensure that these projects are well structured and on the path to achieving intended results.
The Director, Project Management will also engage closely across all vertical programs teams to provide strategic support as needed, ensure close integration, coordination and timely execution of activities, identify and address/elevate key issues that cut across program teams and play a key role in keeping high priority projects on track.
In addition, the Director, Project Management will be a member of and render support and actively contribute to all aspects of the Strategic Services team.
This position will report directly to the Senior Director of Strategic Services and will be based in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Manages project managers and other staff in the team to ensure successful completion and coordination of all efforts
- Develops, mentors, and supports talent development in the Project Management function
- Manages Project Management teams’ capacity and assignments
- Assists project managers with issue resolution, risk management, and mitigation activities, and escalation
- Ensures that projects managers work cooperatively with the appropriate project clients to clarify specific needs and requirements and keeps clients up-to-date on project status throughout process.
- Provides capacity building support to program and project teams
- Develops and maintains project management standards, practices, and methodologies
- Leads continuous improvement and process optimization with Program and Regional teams
- Hires, manages and develops project management staff
- Ensures clear communication and coordination of activities between program teams and project management function
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration, Business Management, Public Administration, organizational development or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- At least twelve (12) years of experience (10 years for Masters) in the direct management of large, complex projects with responsibility for budget control, project scheduling and/or project management, of which at least 5 years in a leadership or managerial role; proven track record in successful execution in the private sector or in international development preferred
- Professional certification and other advanced training in Project Management
- Excellent customer service and analytical skills
- Computer literate in the use of project scheduling software packages
- Demonstrated ability to build relationships and motivate teams of people
- Excellent written, presentation and oral communication skills, strong interpersonal skills
- Flexibility, adaptability, and culturally sensitive
- Demonstrated ability to work in a multidisciplinary, diverse staff, and multi-sector environment
- Strong team player, highly energetic, self-motivated, goal-oriented and committed to shared goals
- Excellent adaptive problem-solver in challenging environment
- Strong set of personal values, including integrity, honesty and desire to be of service
- Ability to thrive in a fast-moving environment with emphasis on high-performance, accountability and results
- Ability to work under pressure, long work hours, and high workload
- Ability to independently organize work and prioritize tasks
- Ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Fluency in English and Amharic is essential; fluency in at least one additional Ethiopian language is a plus
How to apply:
We invite all candidates meeting the required qualifications to send (i) a cover letter, (ii) CV (maximum 5 pages), and (iii) a completed ATA Application Form, which can be downloaded at http://www.ata.gov.et/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Application-Form2.pdf.
Please note that CVs, cover letter and other application materials WILL NOT be considered unless accompanied by a fully completed ATA Application Form. Also, please DO NOT submit scans of certificates with your application form.**
Please email (i) cover letter, (ii) CV (maximum 5 pages) and (iii) the completed application form to Recruitment@ata.gov.et and include “Application for Director, Project Management**” in the subject line.**
Women are highly encouraged to apply.
NB. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS GOV