Organization: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Closing date: 01 Mar 2017
TERMS OF REFERENCE
Information Management Officer (Data Visualization)
Title: Information Management Officer (Data Visualization)
Period: 6 months initially
Deadline for applications: 1 March 2017
UNHCR must enhance its capacity to use and present data collected and managed by the organization to better protect and assist populations of concern. Accurate and visually meaningful graphical and visual presentations are key to better communication of the objectives, achievements and challenges faced by the organisation in the fulfilment of its mandate and to meet operational responses.
Maintenance and governance of data, combined with targeted visual representation of information to meet senior management and field operation needs, is essential for UNHCR to protect and serve persons of concern. Skilled staff with the necessary technical, artistic, creative and numerical literacy is essential to translate the large amount of both qualitative and quantitative data available in the organisation into visually powerful products for action.
Purpose and scope of Assignment
• Create quality infographics, maps and other interactive data visualisation products to support the effective and powerful presentation of UNHCR’s objectives and achievements to both internal and external audiences.
• Tell stories with web maps / visualizations and create static visual products to support UNHCR and its partners in the delivery of effective protection and assistance to populations of concern.
• Provide guidance and UX recommendations for various different UNHCR products.
• Support strategic and operational decision making by processing and analyzing data and information and presenting it in the format most useful for analysis (e.g. reports, maps, infographic, and interactive graphics).
• Continuous communication and guidance to Regional and field IMOs on improving visual products and reports.
• Use databases and other web-based applications including online mapping (ArcGIS) to organise, analyse, transform and group data, visualize context specific data (e.g.: affected population, displaced populations, demographic and vulnerability data, results of common rapid needs assessment etc.).
• Liaise with other UN agencies for collaborative work on visual standards and UNHCR contribution (OCHA/Humanitarian Data Exchange HDX).
• Any other duties as may be requested by the Head of IM Unit.
Qualifications and Experience
An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in information/data science, information systems, Geographic Information Systems, Information Management, Statistics, Graphics design, web-development, Social Sciences, or related area. A first level university degree (Bachelor’s degree or equivalent) combined with qualifying relevant professional experience (at least 8 years) may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
The candidate must be highly skilled in the following areas:
◦ Graphics design
◦ UX design
◦ D3.js – both SVG and Canvas
◦ Adobe Illustrator / Affinity Designer
◦ Grunt / bower
• Prior experience working as part of a development team is essential, while prior experience within the United Nations or in a humanitarian setting would be an asset.
• Excellent working knowledge of English.
How to apply:
Interested applicants are requested to please submit a copy of your CV and a completed P11 form (http://www.unhcr.org/uk/admin/jobs/5748ac794/p11-form.html) to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1 March 2017. In addition, for applications to be considered, candidates must submit a portfolio or links to recent examples of their graphics design, UX and interactive data visualisation work along with their application.
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT