Organization: Save the Children
Closing date: 26 Feb 2017
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
Contract length: 6 months (with possibility of extension)
The Education Manager will act as the technical lead on all education-related matters for the IDP response in Salah al din governorate in Iraq. The Education Manager will be expected, with limited support, to lead on education-related assessments, programme design and implementation at proposal and strategy level, as well as support on fundraising, recruitment and procurement, liaising and linking with other sectors in general and child protection in particular. He/she will oversee the monitoring & evaluation of education activities and support the education working group coordination. The Education Manager will also be expected to play a leadership role within a response team, supporting and building the capacity of colleagues.
Qualifications and experience
- Minimum six years of relevant experience of working in humanitarian programs or in fragile states
- Masters education in relevant discipline
- Skills and experience in the education sector specially Education in Emergencies and hands-on experience on cash transfer programming.
- Previous experience of managing a team of national staff in emergencies
- Previous experience of programme management across multiple locations
- Commitment to, thorough understanding of, and able to train staff in participation and accountability approaches
- Demonstrated experience in leading assessment activities and of designing, managing, monitoring and evaluating education programmes
- Demonstrated ability to set up monitoring & evaluation systems.
- Experience of senior level representation, including Cluster coordination.
- Demonstrated experience in proactive participatory and inclusive approaches working with local authority and target displaced populations
- Experience of developing and negotiating successful partnerships with institutional donors
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- Excellent communication skills with a high level of written and spoken English
- Politically and culturally sensitive with qualities of patience, tact and diplomacy
- The capacity and willingness to be extremely flexible and accommodating in difficult and sometimes insecure working circumstances.
- Commitment to the aims and principles of Save the Children. In particular, a good understanding of the Save the Children mandate and child focus and an ability to ensure this continues to underpin our support
* Experience of urban programming and informal settlements
* Language skills in English, Arabic or Kurdish
* Experience or knowledge of working and living in Iraq or Middle East.
* Child protection experience/knowledge will be an asset
The position is based in Salah al-Din, situated north of Baghdad. The security situation in project areas is quite unpredictable and some time movements to field locations are restricted. Accomondation is provided for in a shared guest house and is generally safe. Market centres, food store and supermarkets are available within reach.
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Please apply in English using your CV and cover letter as a single document, including your salary expectations for this role.
Due to the urgency of the position, CVs will be reviewed on rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
How to apply:
Application Email: Please apply with a covering letter and up-to-date CV to: ‘email@example.com‘
Read more here:: ReliefWeb