Organization: World Food Programme
Closing date: 10 Mar 2017
The World Food Programme (WFP) is the world’s largest humanitarian agency, fighting hunger worldwide. The World Food Programme (WFP) is seeking for a Retail Expert to support the implementation of its humanitarian operation in Lebanon. WFP currently provides access to food, using e-cards through a network of nearly 500 contracted shops to 750.000 beneficiaries
Job Title: Retail Expert Consultant
Duty Station: Beirut
Background: In Lebanon, WFP provides assistance to vulnerable Lebanese and Syrian populations who cannot meet their basic food needs mainly through electronic voucher (e-card). Targeted beneficiaries receive a monthly entitlement of USD 27 per person to cover their food needs through the e-card, which can be used at any of WFP’s nearly 500 partner-shops across the country. The objective of this consultancy is to improve the quality of the service provided by these partner-shops and to increase the purchasing power of WFP’s beneficiaries through education, including organization/hygiene standards, sales system, store layout, better buying, storing, transporting practices, etc.
Accountabilities (not all-inclusive, within delegated authority):**
The job involves working closely with all WFP units to provide strategic and operational support to achieve effective outcomes within WFP’s engagement with the retail sector; increased purchasing power and availability for beneficiaries; broader retail sector development; and application of relevant retail sector supply chain practices (plan, source and deliver).
The incumbent will be responsible for implementing the Retail Strategy in Lebanon. Within delegated authority under the direct supervision of the Deputy Country Director, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Increase in purchasing power for beneficiaries and other customers of WFP contracted shops.
- Work closely with Programme Unit, Fields monitors, store managers and other WFP Units to assist them with analysis and understanding of the retail business to meet WFP goals.
- Improve in-store data gathering, price and demand monitoring. Produce ad hoc reports to support unit’s needs, category management analysis, business analysis, etc.
- Guide WFP units and partners to take a strategic and proactive approach to achieve higher standards in the retail sector.
- Identify most common and most pressing training needs for shop managers, develop appropriate materials, build training plan.
- Ensure the establishment of “buying clubs”, consolidating quantities across WFP contracted stores; Support store leaders in their negotiations with major suppliers and ensure implementation of a legal entity in line with the retail strategy objectives.
- Further define and implement WFP Lebanon Office strategy for retail shops contracting and performance management.
- Perform other related duties as required.
Education: Advanced University degree in Business, Sales, Retail, Supply Chain, Management, Marketing or other related fields.
Experience: At least 8 years of professional postgraduate experience in operational grocery retail and/or wholesale retail. Experience with International Organizations/UN agencies is a plus.
- Solid knowledge of category management, marketing, negotiation and sales principles,
- In-store experience in the visual merchandising, organization of products, pricing, management, sales, procurement, promotion.
- Analytical mind with a strategic ability, organization, attention to detail, be able to multi-task.
- Proficient in MS Office
- Excellent influencing and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Good training skills, hardworking, calm, mature, logical, culturally sensitive, result oriented and interest in humanitarian development
Languages: Fluency in both oral and written communication in English. Arabic and/or French languages is a plus
How to apply:
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT