Posted by: The Tech Museum
San Jose, CA, US
The Media Exhibit Developer will have responsibility for translating exhibit concepts to audience-appropriate media experiences, with the primarily creating museum exhibit media from conceptual storyboarding, to production and installation of media pieces integrated into museum exhibitions. Duties include researching content, developing outlines, working with external media production partners, and collaborating with designers and fabricators to include media in overall exhibit designs while maintaining high standards of accuracy, innovation and audience-appropriateness.
This exempt position will also serve as lead developer for The Tech for Global Good, a new initiative of the Tech stemming from The Tech Awards program. The Tech for Global Good highlights five innovators each year working to solve world problems with social entrepreneurship. Five exhibits, each featuring the story of an innovator related to an annual theme, will be created each year. 2017 is the first year of this program.
Develop media-based museum exhibits:
- Contribute to exhibit development project teams, bringing expertise in the development of media experience design. Work with the team to determine where and what media exhibits will be most effective.
- Work with curator and/or content experts and designer to develop media exhibits, including the creation of storyboard, writing of scripts, and media production both in-house as well as with help from external contractors.
- Test content with target audiences and stakeholders, making appropriate adjustments.
- Work with the engineering team on the selection of projectors, screens and other devices with an eye to long-term sustainability.
- Other duties as required.
Lead exhibit developer for The Tech for Global Good:
- Work with The Tech for Global Good Director on the overall concept for exhibits, informing innovator selection and the role of exhibits in the overall program.
- Develop exhibit bubble diagrams, outlines, visitor narratives, and storylines.
- Manage external media development contractors.
- Serve as point person for prototyping, convening stakeholder audiences, working with prototypers to test and evaluate prototyping results.
- Research and work with advisers as needed to ensure accuracy and appropriateness of exhibit content.
- Prepare exhibit descriptions and fact sheets for internal and external communication.
- Interface with all departments, project teams, subcontractors and partners to ensure all aspects of the exhibit process are completed on time, within budget and museum guidelines.
- Facilitate exhibit development meetings.
- Communicate schedule changes and obstacles to appropriate stakeholders.
- Prior experience in the creation of media pieces for use in museum exhibits.
- Bachelor of Arts degree in Museum Studies, Media Production or related field preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience with museum evaluation methods such as observation, interviews, and testing exhibit prototypes and mockups.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise positive leadership, motivate, and inspire a cooperative team effort to bring a project to completion.
- Experience working with designers, production companies and other contractors and consultants.
- Highly organized, flexible, and a creative team player.
- Excellent interpersonal and diplomacy skills.
- Previous research and writing experience with the ability to translate information for varied audiences.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule based on business needs.
- Demonstrated proficiency in current media development software platforms.
- Successful experience in a role that included budget oversight.
- Experience with visual design software (Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.)
- Computer skills including Microsoft Word, Excel, Google Docs
Read more here:: Idealist