Posted by: The Cleveland Foundation
Cleveland, OH, US
Media Relations Officer
Position:Regular, Fulltime, Exempt
Department:Marketing & Communications
Reports to:Chief Marketing Officer
Date Reviewed:January 2017
Summary:The Media Relations Officer is responsible for overseeing external communications,planning and executing comprehensive communications for all constituencies of the Cleveland Foundation, and supporting the Chief Marketing Officer in providing strategic counsel to the foundation team.
Responsibilities and Expected Outcomes:
- In collaboration with the Chief Marketing Officer, enhance the Cleveland Foundation’s brand in the philanthropic sector and in the Greater Cleveland community through strategic and proactive outreach to local, regional and national media outlets.
- Develop and execute a plan to expand the foundation’s earned media and thought leadership footprint through strategic media outreach campaigns to national and local media, profiling the innovative place-making efforts underway in Greater Cleveland through our grantee partners and supported by our donors.
- Maintain and enhance relationships with major national media outlets and industry leaders, including print, broadcast, online, and social, as well as local and regional outlets. Proactively pursue and create earned media opportunities that showcase the foundation and its partners.
- Provide direct, comprehensive communication support to assigned internal clients in executive, advancement, program, and other departments. Keep abreast of internal client priorities, and provide ongoing communications counsel and service to clients.
- Assist the Chief Marketing Officer in overseeing issue management and crisis communications as needed to protect the reputation of the foundation.
- Manage all video production projects involving the foundation, including producing videos and overseeing the work of video consultants.
- Research, write, edit, and proofread. Apply these skills to various communications developed for the foundation, including publications, website and intranet content, social media, news releases, talking points, etc.
- Develop and convey key messages to media. Act as a spokesperson for the Cleveland Foundation as necessary. Coach and counsel others who speak with the media on behalf of the foundation.
- Oversee the tracking of meaningful media hits and identify and implement appropriate metrics to demonstrate accountability and success.
- As a collaborative member of the marketing and communications team, actively contribute to team and one-on-one meetings, participate in the generation of new ideas and innovative solutions and initiatives, visibly support the work of other members of the team, and be open to the thoughts and ideas of others.
- Be proactive in staying abreast of current events and issues in the region, nation, and world, as well as in the foundation field.
Essential Qualifications, Credentials and Technical Skills required:
- The ideal candidate will have a strong track record in media relations, particularly with national media outreach experience. S/he must have a command of the national media landscape as well as the Greater Cleveland media market. Digital media savvy is a must.
- A bachelor’s degree in journalism or communications or related field; advanced degree welcome.
- Minimum of 8-10 years of progressively challenging experience in media relations, including national level media. Demonstrated experience and leadership in media relations across broadcast, print, digital and multicultural channels on both national and local levels. Corporate communications and/or Public Relations experience at a PR agency and/or in-house communications team preferred.
- Ability to meaningfully measure and track media exposure and impact on the work of the Cleveland Foundation.
- Ability to plan, organize, multi-task, and pay careful attention to detail in order to manage multiple projects and deadlines in a fast-paced work environment.
- Strong service orientation and experience collaborating as part of a team, working effectively with persons and communities from diverse backgrounds – the ultimate team player.
- Exceptional presentation skills with proven ability to speak credibly and confidently across a diverse group of individuals at all levels, both internal and external to the organization.
- High potential for leadership; idea driven with a history of proactively identifying opportunities to expand brand reach and impact.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build trust and confidently interact with executives, providing forthright guidance and timely advice.
- A strong commitment to professional development as demonstrated through involvement in professional associations, training programs, and workshops.
- Familiarity with Cleveland and its nonprofit sector.
- Demonstrated community involvement.
Read more here:: Idealist