Organization: Population Services International
Closing date: 25 Feb 2017
Deputy Country Representative, Reproductive Health Focus: PSI Niger
West and Central Africa
Based in Niamey, Niger
Reports to the Country Representative
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to condoms to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI/Niger was founded in 2013 and is a leader in social marketing and health communications. PSI/Niger uses health communications techniques to improve health practices in the domains of reproductive health and HIV. We are a group of highly dedicated individuals who are proud to work through our programs and with the Minister of Health to provide quality health services to the Nigerian people. This position would primarily support the Women’s Health Project (60%), as well as provide overall country office support (40%).
The Women’s Health Project focuses on working in the private and public sector to increase access to safe abortion care services, including post abortion care and harm reduction services, and increase access to long term reversible family planning services. The project works with a network of private clinics in increase service quality, as well as providing training and coaching to public sector clinics.
We protect our clients’ sexual & reproductive health rights by ensuring informed choice, voluntarism, client confidentiality & privacy, client safety and continuity of care, and increased access to harm reduction information.
PSI/Niger seeks qualified, dynamic Deputy Country Representative, Reproductive Health Focus with experience leading and implementing family planning and reproductive health projects. The successful candidate will have proven skills in project design and management including; planning, deliverables monitoring, budgeting and financial oversight, and be able to lead and advise a diverse team on the ground. This position will be based in Niamey, Niger and will report to the Country Representative.
Sound like you? Read on.
Provide your Provide technical assistance to PSI Niger in the following areas:
Women’s Health Project
- Developing and executing strategy to increase post abortion care services through the private sector network providers
- Advocating for and leading harm reduction activities and supporting safe abortion within the legal context
- Providing leadership and guidance to the Women’s Health Project manager in PSI Niger
- Implementing franchised family planning services
- Coordinating technical training and continuous quality assurance support for new and existing health franchises in Long Acting Reversible Contraceptives (LARCs), harm reduction counseling, and Post Abortion Care (PAC) with misoprostol and MVA
- Working with relevant PSI staff to ensure procurement of misoprostol and family planning commodities and assuring quality testing
- Working with relevant PSI Niger staff on sales and distribution strategies and medical detailing training and strategies
- Developing and implementing strategies for increasing uptake of long-term methods (IUDs and implants)
- Responsible for financial and other reporting as required by donors and PSI/Washington
Country Office Support
- Knowledge management efforts and lesson sharing across PSI platforms
- Supervising staff on project management, planning, reporting, deliverables
- Tracking and budget design and management
- Working with government, NGO, and commercial entities
- Reviewing existing systems and improve the overall effectiveness and speed of the finance, administration, and supply chain management teams
- Providing capacity development and mentoring to all finance, procurement and admin staff through both formal and informal mechanisms
- Strengthening the capacity of PSI Niger’s finance function by providing technical support and oversight in the areas of budgeting, donor reporting, and financial analysis, both at the departmental level and between PSI Niger and PSI Washington
- Procurement – Ensure compliance with existing procurement policies, and support office in revising policies as needed
- Any responsibilities requested by the Country Representative
What are we looking for?
You have at least 5 years’ experience in managing international health and/or Family Planning and Reproductive health projects and PAC/safe abortion programs
You have an MPH or relevant degree in Family Health or equivalent experience in related field
You have proven success in management of complex operations in a challenging developing country environment
You are able to coordinate and work effectively with diverse stakeholders in numerous locations and levels, including private partners, donors, government officials and bodies, technical experts, civil society organizations, community members and organizations and project support staff
You have experience in managing and motivating staff and are a good coach
You have social franchising experience
You are fluent in written and spoken French and English
You have experience working in private and non-profit institutions
You have experience with tools such as Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point, QuickBooks, Lawson, or similar
You have experience in capacity-building in a developing country
You are familiar with and understand marketing and/or social marketing concepts and approaches
You are familiar with and understand medical ethics principles
You are willing and able to work/address issues related to safe abortion
You are familiar with the international donor community
Strong knowledge/experiences in supportive supervision and coaching, monitoring and evaluation
Strong knowledge/experiences in budget control
Experience working with a variety of funders
What would get us excited?
- The successful candidate will be a passionate about women’s rights and not afraid to advocate for and tackle tough issues, such as access to safe abortion.
- A creative, innovative and strategic thinker, and will have: excellent communication, analytical, organizational, interpersonal and cross-cultural skills; a passion for private sector approaches to development; and proven ability to produce results
- A love for compliance but the flexibility to meet program needs. You like to play by the rules but you understand the importance of being flexible to get things done
- Team Player: You know how to connect several diverse groups of people in order to get things done
- Self-Starter: You are not afraid to jump in from the start and get your hands dirty with minimal direction
- Level 6
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
How to apply:
Read more here:: ReliefWeb