Posted by: Kids in Need of Defense (KIND)
Washington, DC, US
Background: Kids in Need of Defense (KIND) is an innovative partnership among the Microsoft Corporation, Angelina Jolie and other interested philanthropists, law firms and corporate supporters. As the leading national organization that works to ensure that no refugee or immigrant child faces immigration court alone, KIND is dedicated to providing direct and pro bono representation as well as positive systemic change in both law and policy to improve the protection of unaccompanied immigrant and refugee children. KIND also assists children who are returning to their home countries through deportation or voluntary departure to do so safely and to reintegrate into their home communities. In addition, we work to ensure the voices of these children are heard and we help them become their own advocates. Launched in fall 2008, KIND is headquartered in Washington, DC and has 10 field offices across the United States.
Responsibilities: KIND seeks a full-time Social Services Coordinator for its Falls Church, Virginia field office. The Social Services Coordinator will be responsible for working with KIND’s child clients and their families to identify needs and gaps in services, and assist families in accessing services related to education, health, mental health, housing, mediation, and child care. The Social Services Coordinator will work with clients living in Washington, DC and Northern Virginia, and may support clients living in additional geographical areas as needed. This position is based KIND’s Falls Church, Virginia office. The ideal candidate will have experience working with and within immigrant communities in the US, will have working knowledge of the challenges and limitations in accessing public services, and have a high level of cultural competence. The staff member’s responsibilities will include, but will not be limited to, the following:
- Develop and maintain a knowledge base of social services available to clients in assigned work areas;
- Establish working relationships and partnerships with local service providers and administrators in each service area to enhance the referral process;
- Conduct assessments of referred clients, including the larger context in which the child is living, identifying needs, barriers and safety concerns;
- Develop a comprehensive service plan in conjunction with the child, his/her family, and his/her attorney, when appropriate, and maintain documentation regarding attempts to access services, and service delivery;
- Complete referrals to services, assist families in completing intake requirements for these services and follow up as necessary; and
- Assist KIND Legal staff on working with families in crisis and transition.
Qualifications for the Ideal Candidate:
- Fluency in English and Spanish, spoken and written, required;
- Degree in social work, counseling, or related specialty required ;
- Two to three years of experience working with children, preferably immigrant and refugee children, or experience working with survivors of abuse, human trafficking, or other trauma;
- Ability to work collaboratively, and preferably, prior experience working with attorneys, law firms, or other legal service providers;
- A strong record of cultural competence and cross-cultural communication skills;
- Experience working with a diverse team of social service providers and advocating on behalf of clients;
- Self-starter who will be able to create a network of resources and contacts within different geographical areas.
KIND is an EOE committed to inclusive hiring and dedicated to diversity in both its staff and work.
The selected applicant will be asked to undergo a background check before acceptance of the final offer.
Read more here:: Idealist