Organization: Population Services International
Country: South Sudan
Closing date: 11 Mar 2017
Job title PSI South Sudan Country Representative (CR)
Department East Africa
Based in Juba, South Sudan Reports to the EA Regional Director Who we are**
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthier lives and plan the families they desire by marketing affordable products and services that range from mosquito nets to contraceptives to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from the medical industry to the music business – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
With support from the government of South Sudan and international donors such as DFID, Global Fund, and USAID, PSI has worked in South Sudan for almost 15 years. Since 2001, we have implemented social marketing and behavior change communication to deliver prevention and treatment products and services across a wide range of health areas including HIV/AIDS, malaria, pneumonia and water-borne diseases. PSI is the national primary recipient for Global Fund Malaria and DFID on the malaria and Integrated Community Case Management grant. The program is among PSI’s top DALY performer with over 1.8 million DALYS annually and an annual budget of over $35 million.
We are looking for a Country Representative (CR) based in Juba, South Sudan to lead implementation of PSI’s awards in collaboration with the Ministry of Health (MOH) and National Malaria Control Program (NMCP).The CR oversees government relations and program implementation s managing a diverse group of staff. We’re looking for a leader for our $35 million PSI South Sudan operation. We are looking for someone with strong humanitarian experience with a track record of delivering results in fast paced environments under challenging conditions.
Sound like you? Read on.
You will** be responsible for the overall development, management (security, financial, administrative, and programmatic), and representation of PSI’s activities in South Sudan. You will:
Build Institutional Strength
- Foster the institutional development of PSI South Sudan through strategic planning, program development and financial sustainability;
- Manage existing and new activities to effectively deliver the health program’s portfolio and meeting donor deliverables;
- Maintain and foster external relations with strategic partners such as government institutions and donors such as the Ministry of Health, UN Agencies, Global Fund, DFID, USAID, and private foundations;
- Work in close collaboration with the Country Risk Manager to ensure the safety and security of all staff.
Lead program planning and execution
- Provide quality and timely management of project lifecycle for all current donor projects including meeting programmatic and financial deliverables;
- Develop and steward annual and specific project budgets consistent with both organizational and donor requirements.
- Meet financial and other reporting requirements as required by donors and PSI/Washington;
- Develop innovative distribution systems and/or maintain the existing ones at a high level of effectiveness;
- Track distribution figures as well as the performance of the sub recipients including the distribution network;
- Supervise evidence-based research activities to support health program decisions in order to evaluate and measure program effectiveness and to maximize health impact;
- Build local technical, management and leadership capacity;
- Guide 2 national offices and a 60-person team of technical managers and implementers, operations staff, and sales and marketing professionals. This includes recruitment, development, training, and supervision;
- Develop and maintain systems that ensure the safety and security of the team and PSI assets in all aspects of its work per best practices, PSI operating standards, and field realities. Liaise with the Global Security Department and Regional Director on crucial events, high-risk periods, incident reporting and security policy changes;
- Develop and enforce field office administrative policies. Promote and demonstrate an ethical environment in line with PSI’s values of honesty and acting with integrity. Support the application of appropriate internal controls to protect PSI’s assets.
What are we looking for?
- You have at least 10 years of experience managing people, budgets and public health or relief programs.
- You have lived and worked in a high risk, low capacity, and low resource developing country.
- You have significant demonstrated experience in government relations and collaboration You have experience and are passionate in building local technical, management and leadership capacity.
- You have an MBA, MPH, MD or other relevant degree.
- You are fluent in English.
- You have significant demonstrated fundraising, personnel and financial management experience.
- You have significant demonstrated experience in management, international development or relief, and preferably within the health sector.
- References will be required.
**What would get us excited?
Experienced manager. **You have been a Country Director or Resident Advisor of a large development or relief organization in a failed state before. You have worked with and managed Global Fund projects. You can manage a very diverse international and national team to get results.
Relationship Builder. **You have experience working with Ministries of Health, health care companies, or global health donors. You can identify new donors and partners for programs. You can spot trends and keep the PSI global headquarters informed about health needs and opportunities in South Sudan. You are diplomatic in cooling down emotionally charged environments. You are agile in your approach, able to quickly recognize, address and mitigate potential conflicts before they arise
Capacity Builder: You have experience in building institution, local technical, management and leadership capacity.
Natural fundraiser.** You have experience identifying business opportunities for health or securing funds from donors like DFID, USAID, or Global Fund.
Collaborative manager. You can inspire a shared vision for the PSI South Sudan staff. You have successfully helped your staff learn, grow, and thrive in their work.
A Strategist and an innovator. You are creative, innovative and a strategic thinker. You have a strong interest in health-sector approaches to development and a proven ability to produce results.
- Level 5
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
How to apply:
Read more here:: ReliefWeb