Posted by: The Mountaineers
Seattle, WA, US
Position Title: Summer Camp Program Lead Staff
FLSA: Exempt, Seasonal (June 19-August 18, 2017)
Reports to: Summer Camp Director/ Coordinator
The Summer Camp Lead Staff are directly responsible for the daily supervision of a group of 8-12 youth ranging in age from 6-12. Summer Camp Lead Staff have a range of responsibilities during the summer camp day, including leading games and activities, providing support and encouragement for each camper, resolving camper conflicts, supervising activity transitions, maintaining a schedule and behavior management. Summer Camp Lead Staff are directly responsible for keeping each youth in their group safe and facilitating a fun and rewarding summer camp experience.
Planning & Preparation
- Plan creative outdoor activities for your small group of youth
- Assist in the setup and break down of camp.
- Knowledge of quick games and time fillers to keep campers engaged during transitions
- Attend weekly staff meeting
- Teach games and activities to your group of campers
- Travel with your small group of kids throughout the day, making it fun and safe
- Adhere to group schedule
- Participate as a participant leader during large group or all camp activities
- Ensure Mountaineers Youth Policies and Procedures are followed and adhered to at all times
- Provide a fun and meaningful camp experience for campers under your supervision
- Foster a sense of community within the group and seek ways to include all students in activities.
- create camp superlatives for the full group at end of week
Candidate Minimum Requirements
- Minimum age 18
- High school diploma
- Knowledge of, desire to work with, and experience working with a variety of populations, including preschool through high-school, youth of varied abilities, diverse ethnicities and diverse socio-economic backgrounds
- Experience working outdoors with youth
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Current CPR & First Aid Certification, Lifeguard Certification preferred
- Ability to pass a national criminal background and sex offender check
- Must attend all of staff training
- Ability to work June 19-August 18 (Max 3 days off)
- Climbing and belaying skills
- Summer camp experience
- Experience teaching Outdoor Recreation skills such as : First Aid, Navigation, Outdoor Cooking, Naturalist classes, Teambuilding, or Photography
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee will be required to stand for extended periods of time while leading youth and must be able to hike on uneven and hilly terrain continuously for up to five miles. The employee is occasionally required to bend, squat, run or climb as part of duties leading youth.
Compensation and Benefits
This position is a full-time, seasonal employee. The regular schedule will be 40+ hours a week, including camp hours. Compensation ranges from $585-600/week, depending on experience. Benefits include membership in The Mountaineers.
How to Apply
Interested candidates should email a resume and a cover letter explaining 1) what experience, skills and personal characteristics qualify you for this position and 2) why the mission and work of The Mountaineers appeals to you. Send all information firstname.lastname@example.org . Applications are received on a rolling basis; the first round of interviews will begin the week of March 20th.
Disclaimer: The above information has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or to be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.
The Mountaineers provides equal employment opportunities to all people regardless of race, age, gender, ability, marital status, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion or any other basis protected by law.
Read more here:: Idealist