Organization: International Organization for Migration
Closing date: 05 Mar 2017
Position Title : Intern – Communication & Graphics Design, Facilitated Migration
Duty Station : Geneva, Switzerland
Classification : Intern, Grade OTHE
Type of Appointment : Internship, 6 months
Estimated Start Date : As soon as possible
Closing Date : 05 March 2017
Reference Code: INT 2017/03
Established in 1951, IOM is the leading inter-governmental organization in the field of migration
and works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and non-governmental partners. IOM
is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by
providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
The Immigration and Border Management (IBM) Division in the Department of Migration
Management (DMM) is the focal point for IOM policy and technical support to programme
development in immigration and border management, covering both regulating and facilitating
migration. The IBM Division at IOM Headquarters (HQ) oversees the global IBM portfolio,
develops appropriate tools and guidance materials, and liaises with external key actors including
national governments, international organizations and civil society actors.
The Facilitated Migration Services (FMS) unit within IBM oversees projects and programmes
which facilitate safe, legal and orderly migration with a current focus on assisting governments
to improve the management of visa and entry schemes, as well as offering innovative service
solutions to facilitate complementary legal pathways for vulnerable migrants. Such pathways
include family reunification schemes and humanitarian visa schemes.
The Intern will work under the guidance and supervision of the IBM Senior Specialist, Facilitated
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the development and update of internal and external public information materials. In
particular, gather, prepare/update, edit and disseminate high quality public information materials
- Present key data in greater detail through visualizations of key indicators. Provide support
necessary to ensure the implementation and further development of visualizations of data
through interactive maps and infographics, among other deliverables.
- In coordination with IOM’s Media and Communication Division (MCD), write, edit and produce
public information material in relation to FMS in support of IOM’s institutional communication
tools, such as IOM’s bi-weekly press briefing notes, IOM’s website, and social media.
- Assist in standardizing existing products and templates such as FMS newsletters, fact sheets,
presentations, reports, info sheets, as well as formatting, icons, images and layout techniques.
- Liaise with FMS field Missions to develop communication and background documentation,
and to support the review of tools and papers prepared in the field.
Perform other tasks as may be assigned by the IBM Senior Specialist, Facilitated Migration.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
• University degree in communications, graphic design, social sciences, graphic arts or a related
field, or a college diploma supplemented with additional years of experience.
• Excellent knowledge of graphic design software;
• Proficiency with software packages, most specifically Adobe Suite (InDesign, Illustrator and
Photoshop) and MS Office (Publisher, PowerPoint, Visio) Tableau and any other communication
• Strong background in developing communication tools;
• Strong organizational skills and practical experience of how to multi-task, prioritize and work
• Ability to timely understand the Organization’s structure and portfolios;
• Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team of colleagues of varied cultural and
• Proven ability to produce quality work accurately and concisely according to set deadlines; and
• Basic knowledge of GIS and web mapping is an asset.
Fluency in English is required. Working knowledge of French or Spanish is an advantage.
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with client and stakeholders
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external
• Performance Management – identify ways and implement actions to improve performance of
self and others.
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs,
perspectives, concerns and promotes equal gender participation.
• Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization – works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs
The incumbent will acquire knowledge in the area of Facilitated Migration Services (FMS) unit.
He/She will also gain in-site experience in working with IOM’s efforts to develop professional
presentation of communications outputs in relation to the FMS portfolios.
Carte de Legitimation
The organization will obtain the ‘carte de legitimation’ for the duration of the internship for the
selected candidate. A monthly stipend will be paid.
• Applications must consist of a cover letter and personal CV or resume (as an attachment to
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted, and additional queries will only be addressed if
the candidate is shortlisted
• Depending on experience and location, IOM provides a small monthly stipend to help offset
costs; please consider the cost of living in Geneva prior to applying.
How to apply:
Interested candidates are invited to submit their applications via PRISM, IOM e-Recruitment
system, by 05 March 2017 at the latest, referring to this advertisement.
For further information, please refer to:
In order for an application to be considered valid, IOM only accepts online profiles duly
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. You can track the progress of your application on
your personal application page in the IOM e-recruitment system.
From 20.02.2017 to 05.03.2017
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT