Organization: Fortify Rights
Closing date: 31 Mar 2017
Position: Communications Associate
Location: Bangkok, Thailand; Southeast Asia
Contract: 1 year, renewable
Start Date: TBD
Compensation: Competitive with benefits
Fortify Rights works to ensure and defend human rights for all. We investigate human rights abuses, engage stakeholders, and strengthen initiatives led by human rights defenders, affected
communities, and civil society. We believe in the influence of evidence-based research, the power of strategic truth telling, and the importance of working in close collaboration with individuals,
communities, and movements pushing for change. Fortify Rights is an independent, nonprofit
organization based in Southeast Asia and registered in the United States and Switzerland.
The Communications Associate plays a key role to maximize Fortify Rights’ outreach and ensure all communications for external circulation are accessible, engaging, compelling, and consistent. The Communications Associate is responsible for the effective coordination and implementation of Fortify Rights’ communication activities. S/he will work together with the Executive Team, the
Multimedia Specialist, the Development Specialist and country-based Human Rights Specialists to ensure high-impact, accurate, and audience-specific communications. The Communications
Associate may also be asked to contribute to skill-building activities for Fortify Rights’ partners. The Communications Associate reports to the Executive Director and receives strategic direction and technical oversight from the Chief Executive Officer.
- Work closely with Fortify Rights’ executive team to develop and implement Fortify Rights’ communications plans and policies, including social media and outreach strategies. In coordination with Fortify Rights’ Human Rights Specialists and Development Specialists, produce compelling content for newsletters and online engagement with specific audiences.
- Update and manage Fortify Rights’ online media platforms (e.g., website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc.) to ensure information is posted, regularly, accurately, and in an engaging manner.
- Work with Fortify Rights’ executive team to generate and distribute emails, newsletters, and publications using third-party email distribution software.
- Assist in the design and development of Fortify Rights’ publications, annual reports, newsletters, and other materials.
- Manage and update Fortify Rights’ media library.
- Manage and update Fortify Rights’ mailing and contact lists to ensure proper cleaning, segmentation, and distribution of content.
- Serve as an interface between Fortify Rights executive team, Human Rights Specialists, and media outlets.
- Work closely with Fortify Rights’ executive team to develop guidelines to support Fortify Rights’ staff, consultants, fellows, partners, Board members, and advisors in their communications work.
- In coordination with Fortify Rights’ country-based teams, contribute to tailored workshops and participatory trainings for Fortify Rights’ partners including human rights defenders and affected communities, on effective communications’ strategies and tools.
- Work with the Development Specialist and the executive team to contribute to fundraising initiatives and monitoring and evaluation processes. Contribute to the timely reporting of project activities, expenses, and impacts.
Perform other tasks as requested.
Degree in relevant fields or comparable work experience in communications, journalism, and/or marketing.
Demonstrated experience creatively telling stories using multiple means and platforms.
Experience with graphic design, html coding, website management, social media platforms, and email distribution software, a plus.
Strong writing/editing skills and attention to detail.
Familiarity with human rights issues, preferably within the context of Southeast Asia;
Ability to self-manage and work efficiently in a fast-paced but flexible environment. A willingness to learn and contribute to a positive team environment. A desire for innovation and creative solutions to complex problems.
Willingness to travel within Southeast Asia. This may include travel to remote and potentially insecure areas.
Fluency in written and verbal English required. Additional language skills preferred. WORKING ENVIRONMENT: To be discussed with short-listed candidates.
COMPENSATION & BENEFITS
Fortify Rights seeks exceptional applicants and offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Fortify Rights is an equal opportunity employer that does not discriminate in its hiring practices and, in order to build the strongest possible team, actively seeks a diverse pool of applicants.
How to apply:
HOW TO APPLY Please apply by emailing your resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “COMMUNICATIONS ASSOCIATE.”
Read more here:: ReliefWeb