Organization: Population Services International
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 08 Mar 2017
Job title: Malaria Technical Advisor
Department: Malaria, Child Survival & Sanitation Department Based in Washington DC
Up to 30% international travel
Reports to Director, Malaria, Child Survival & sanitation Department
Who we are
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to be healthy by providing access to products and services that range from malaria prevention and treatment to HIV testing.
There are over 9,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. It’s a diverse group of entrepreneurs and professionals with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – from doctors, epidemiologists and professionals from the medical industry to marketers from the fast moving consumer goods industry – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
PSI and its local affiliates manage malaria control programs in 32 countries and are world leaders in malaria control implementation delivering 42 million treated mosquito nets and almost 19 million quality-assured ACTs for confirmed malaria cases in 2016. PSI also supports national Ministries of Health to scale up malaria diagnosis especially in the private sector and to improve tracking of malaria patients through surveillance and health information systems, especially DHIS2.
PSI is seeking an experienced, dynamic and innovation-driven Malaria Technical Advisor to lead PSI’s efforts to scale up its malaria programs globally, capture and share best practices, as well as provide technical support to specific country programs to ensure high quality of and measurable impact through their malaria programs. In addition to the malaria program portfolio, this TA will be responsible for external engagement and participation in important working groups like the Alliance for Malaria Prevention, the Vector Control Working Group and other fora to communicate PSI’s success stories.
The full-time position is based in Washington DC with 30% travel and reports to the Director of the Malaria, Child survival and Sanitation Department.
- Provide technical support to PSI country platforms in developing and executing high quality malaria programs.
- Provide in-country technical assistance on strategic planning, portfolio review, program design and troubleshooting (either directly or by working with internal and external resources).
- Help PSI country platforms to raise funds for malaria programs in support of national strategies, including from the Global Fund for AIDS, TB and Malaria; USAID President’s Malaria Initiative; the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation; DFID and UNITAID.
- Develop and implement PSI’s communication strategy for malaria, market-based approaches and ensuring wider participation of PSI at important fora, working groups and other influential venues.
- Produce and disseminate knowledge products and processes (toolkits, case studies, best practices, peer review publications, etc.) for national and international audiences to accelerate rapid transfer of best practices.
- Act as the primary technical focal point for malaria for all PSI global services and country platforms.
- Proactively engage with partners to improve coordination at national and international levels.
- Influence the context in which PSI works in malaria through representation at relevant technical working groups, conferences, workshops, and policy-oriented forums using appropriate media.
What are we looking for?
- Demonstrating Results: You have 5+ years track record demonstrating leadership generating tangible results in mobilizing resources for serving social needs in a developing country.
- A malariaologist You will have demonstrated knowledge on malaria control and proven experience in managing a malaria program
- Forging Partnerships: You are able to coordinate and work effectively with diverse stakeholders in numerous locations and levels, including private partners, donors, government officials and bodies, technical experts, civil society organizations, community members and organizations and project support staff.
- Flexible Change Agent: You are a proactive leader who catalyzes innovation by both leading and working through others.
- Curious: You are an information sponge and understand what worked yesterday may not necessarily work today (or tomorrow), that each context is different.
- Simplify: You quickly distil complexity to essential and simple concepts and approaches.
What would get us excited?
- Relevant post-graduate degree (MPH, MBA, MSc, ME, etc.) or equivalent implementation experience.
- Sound technical knowledge of malaria and vector control policy and context.
- Established reputation in the field of malaria programming; knowledge of the partnership landscape and familiarity with the international donor community.
- Demonstrated fundraising and external engagement skills.
- Strong writing and presentation skills.
- Fluency in written and spoken English; French highly preferred.
- Must be authorized to work in the United States. B. PSI will not consider work visa sponsorship for this position.
- Level 6
PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
How to apply:
Read more here:: ReliefWeb