Organization: International Foundation for Electoral Systems
Country: United States of America
Closing date: 04 Mar 2017
Division: Program Management
Status: VA-Based Full Time
Position Number: 17:034
IFES is implementing a program to provide technical assistance to electoral stakeholders as well as public outreach for various groups including marginalized populations. The program is a multi-funder, multi-project portfolio including both USG and non-USG donors.
The Program Officer is an intermediate professional position at IFES providing tactical support to the program division. Specific duties will include development, technical, administrative and financial management support and oversight. This position will primarily start with supporting projects in Tunisia.
· Serve as primary interface with Country Directors and local staff to implement projects.
· Achieve project requirements within budget, established time frame,standards of quality, and funder satisfaction.
· Assist with preparing budgets, review and approve field expense reports,wire requests, vendor and consultant payments etc.
· Responsible for critical review and reporting of project financials in partnership with Finance team. Track project activities in line with budget,forecasting and evaluation of burn rate.
· Establish, maintain, and develop productive working relationship with field staff, subordinates, consultants at large, and other departments within IFES HQ.
· Assist with program design, knowledge of IFES systems, tools for project implementation and monitoring.
· Work with Monitoring and Evaluation team to design/determine program indicators, assist with monitoring to ensure activities are meeting indicators.
· Contribute to knowledge management and thought leadership.
· Troubleshoot project problems, identify and implement creative solutions.
· Monitor pending IFES grant/contract actions and coordinate timely action and response.
· Travel to field office to assist with project activities as needed.
· Participate in proposal development/new initiative process.
· Encourage professional developmental of junior program staff. Evaluate performance of supervisee(s), and provide constructive feedback and proactive management. Provide feedback on project team and project performance.
· Work with HR to source and recruit critical talent.
· Support the process of designing and implementing subawards and monitor progress including reviewing deliverables. Work with Contracts and Grants to ensure timely acquisition and delivery of commodities.
· Contribute, coordinate, and ensure the quality of monthly/quarterly reports.
· Provide input into annual workplans, PMPs, and other programmatic reports.
· Work with Contracts and Grants to ensure timely acquisition and delivery of services.
· Other duties as assigned.
POSITION SCOPE: Provide varied support functions and perform moderately complex job duties requiring knowledge of proposal development, program management, donor interface, and research and development initiatives. Contribute to program planning, development and management. Familiarity with IFES tools, methodology and best practices. Manage work activities with internal and external partners to assure achievement of assigned objectives. Performance and outcomes are subject to management oversight.
DECISION MAKING/PROBLEM SOLVING: Multi-factor decision-making requiring research and analysis, subject to supervisory guidance. Verify and analyze facts, consult with other departments as needed, then implement solutions based on knowledge of procedures, logic, and sound judgement. Initiate contact with staff in other departments to exchange detailed, substantive information and coordinate activities necessary to achieve work goals.
FISCAL RESPONSIBILITY: Participate in project budget planning and perform processing, recording and reporting of financial transactions, including field expenses etc., in compliance with IFES policies and procedures. Critical review and reporting of project financials in partnership with Finance.
RELATIONSHIPS: Develop and maintain collaborative relationships, which require highly-developed interpersonal skills, involving active listening, creativity and problem solving, to assure desired outcomes. Develop opportunities to improve working relationships and work outcomes with internal and external partners.
SUPERVISION EXERCISED: Supervise entry level positions. Participate in planning and implementing work activities with internal and external partners.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s Degree in international relations, political science, international development preferred.
Experience: Minimum of 4 years of overall work experience in the international development sector with NGO experience a plus. 5+ years of experience ideal. Experience with budget management and oversight of large single project or multiple small projects. Supervisory experience a plus.
Related Skills or Knowledge: Experience with program design and project management. Knowledgeable on USAID and non-US based grant and contract proposals, regulations, and procedures. Familiarity with USAID and non-US structure and personnel as well as other international donors. MENA Regional experience; knowledge with Tunisia a plus. Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Excel required. Strong written and verbal communication skills are required.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: English required. Proficiency in French and/or Arabic language a plus.
TRAVEL: Travel up to 10% of time.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Standard office work environment, with occasional field travel. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
How to apply:
You must go to http://www.ifes.org to the Careers section and apply online. Applications are only accepted in this way. Make sure you upload all papers together (e.g. resume, cover letter, application, etc). Resumes will only be reviewed and accepted for consideration if submitted through our Careers page.
Read more here:: ReliefWeb