Posted by: Womankind
New York, NY, US
Womankind works with survivors of gender-based violence to rise above trauma and build a path to healing. We bring critical resources and deep cultural competency to help Asian communities find refuge, recovery and renewal.
Womankind’s Community Programs provides comprehensive direct services that support the recovery of survivors and their children from Domestic Violence (DV), Human Trafficking (HT), and Sexual Violence (SV). The Advocate’s primary responsibilities are to engage communities and raise awareness on DV, HT, and SV, provide support via 24-hour multi-lingual hotline, ensure all clients receive prompt and professional services, and provide therapeutic support that encourages self- sufficiency and empowerment.
- Manage a caseload consisted of survivors of DV, HT, and SV.
- Provide assessments, empowerment counseling services, and crisis intervention.
- Ensure that clients receive advocacy and accompaniment – either directly from the Advocate or with assistance of a volunteer – to gain remedies and/or benefits in family and criminal court, welfare office and attorney’s offices.
- Provide legal, immigration, entitlement and housing information and referrals.
- Maintain proper documentation of case work and organization of case files.
- Coordinate with co-workers to provide office coverage and answer the hotline.
- Represent Womankind in outreach/community education events, particularly to South Asian communities and other Asian neighborhoods in close proximity to the community office.
- Other duties as assigned by the Executive Director or Director of Community Programs.
- Experience with anti-violence work, the Asian community, criminal justice, and/or client advocacy.
- Bachelors in Psychology or related field; Masters a plus.
- Must be Fluent in English and South Asian Language; Bengali a plus.
- Ability to be self-directing and highly motivated.
- Flexible hours required.
Read more here:: Idealist