Posted by: The Bronx Charter School For Children
Bronx, NY, US
Special Education Teacher
We seek to hire and support highly committed and effective teachers who are driven to improve K-5 education in an urban setting. We are seeking educators who possess a “roll up my sleeves” enthusiasm and a demonstrated track record of student achievement, a minimum of 2 years in a classroom and passion for reforming urban education to apply immediately.
History of the Bronx Charter School for Children
The Bronx Charter School for Children (BCSC) is an independent, elementary charter school serving 432 students in Kindergarten through 5th grade, located in the Mott Haven section of the South Bronx in New York City. Opened in 2004 with 132 students in Kindergarten and 1st grade, BCSC’s recently received charter renewal through 2016. In 2012 the school began its transition from its start-up phase to becoming a continually high performing school focused on excellence.
Educational Philosophy: BCSC adheres to the following approach to learning:
BCSC aspires to help scholars make connections between facts, foster new understanding and think critically. Teachers tailor their developmentally appropriate strategies to student responses and encourage critical thinking through analysis, interpretation and prediction – all in the context of the child’s socio-emotional development, interpersonal relationships and support. As such, the learning environment facilitates a deep understanding of individual needs and targeted instruction. This strong foundation to learning and skill development propels our scholars to change their future trajectory.
Values: Members of the BCSC Community will display the following:
- Understanding and Passion for Urban Education: Drive to make a difference in vulnerable lives…inspiring children to set and achieve stretch goals…culturally sensitive: comfort and impact in the community.
- Commitment to Children: Create a positive learning environment…utilizes developmentally appropriate techniques to create and sustain a love of learning…positive and effective behavior management.
- Collaborates for a Cause: Holds self and others accountable for BCSC’s mission and goals…. high energy to achieve goals, willingly crosses boundaries to achieve the mission…seeks and provides feedback to improve individual and others’ performance…treats others with respect and dignity.
- Analytical/Data Driven in Pursuit of Excellence: Leverages systems and information to improve decision making and performance…makes fact based decisions…monitors performance trends to offer and measure improvement.
- Flexible/Innovative/Adaptive for Goal Attainment: Able to think outside the box and proactively seeks new solutions, ideas and approached…adaptable, open minded…takes calculated risks, strong problem solver.
- Lifelong Learner: Able to master and apply new information quickly…reflective; learns from experiences to improve performance…seeks out and leverages professional development.
Teacher Responsibilities: All Teachers at The Bronx Charter School for Children possess outstanding abilities in:
- Instructional Skills: Produce quality lesson plans that strive for higher-level objectives yet accommodate all learning styles; maximize learning time through effective classroom management; use varied instructional techniques and apply developmentally appropriate strategies.
- Student Achievement: Hold all students to the highest of expectations; analyze data from a variety of sources to adjust instruction or initiate targeted interventions; regularly assess for student learning – both formally and informally- in order to adjust instruction accordingly; clearly demonstrate student growth.
- Community Oriented: Constantly seek out resources and strategies to meet student needs; communicate and collaborate effectively with all members of the community and fully strive to achieve the BCSC mission.
SpEd Teaching Role Qualifications
- Classroom experience in an urban setting, minimum 2 years – preferably as lead teacher.
- Ability to use data from assessments (or student engagement) to adjust instruction.
- New York State Special Education Certification and ability to meet Highly Qualified Status under NCLB
- Bachelors Degree from accredited university, Masters Degree (preferred)
Read more here:: Idealist