Organization: Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH
Closing date: 22 Mar 2017
GIZ COE Liaison Manager / Officer
Location : Erbil, Iraq
Application Deadline : 22.3.2017
Type of Contract : NP
Languages Required : English, Kurdish, Arabic
Starting Date : as soon as possible
Duration of Initial Contract : One year
As a member of the GIZ Coordination Office Northern Iraq, Erbil, the Liaison manager reports to the Head of Coordination Office Erbil (COE) and support GIZ Representatives and their Deputies on programmatic and operational issues.
In the fields of responsibility set out below, the Liaison manager shall act under delegated authority from the Head of COE and be accountable to the Head of COE, and through the Head of COE, to the Country Office in Ankara and its members. For the fulfilment of these responsibilities, the Liaison manager shall receive instructions, guidance and support from the Head of COE. In terms of programmatic and operational support, the Liaison manager will liaise with key programme and operational bodies in particular the Heads of programmes – and the Risk Management Team (RMO).
Duties and Responsibilities
Summary of key functions:
- As regards the Head of COE’s representational role, the Liaison manager shall facilitate communication between the Head of COE and the KRI authorities. In so doing, the Liaison manager shall analyse and advise on emerging political, socio-economic and security developments and advocate for joint positions, based on the GIZ’s purposes and principles.
- The Liaison manager shall act under the authority of the Head of COE to coordinate and control the security arrangements for operations in his / her area of responsibility.
- In matters pertaining to GIZ programme implementation for Iraq, the Liaison manager shall support existing arrangements enabling a coherent GIZ response on relevant programming and policy issues, ensuring compliance with the agreed organizational, planning, monitoring and reporting requirements of the GIZ.
- The Liaison manager will support the smooth running of GIZ programming in KRI, inter alia through maintenance of a constructive and inclusive working atmosphere among concerned GIZ staff members, including representatives of GIZ headquarter and consultants, where relevant.
- The Liaison manager will support strategic partnerships arrangements with national stakeholders, including government and non-state actors. The Liaison manager shall ensure the provision of top quality advisory services facilitate effective knowledge management and provide assistance to Head of COE in regard of planning, monitoring and reporting, aid management coordination etc.
- The Liaison manager shall support inter-agency cooperation on communication activities in KRI, including identification of high-visibility, results-oriented communication opportunities.
- Liaising with the PR Unit of GIZ, the Liaison manager will engage with the media and other key partners to ensure effective communication messaging under One GIZ Voice in KRI.
- The Liaison manager shall liaise with the local bodies like e.g. JCC’s and BORHA to ensure: regular coverage of developments on KRI in GIZ KRI information platforms.
- The Liaison manager shall act as an interpreter (writing/speaking) for the Head of COE and shall accompany him on high level meetings and talks with local authorities.
Functions/Key Results Expected:
Provide strategic policy and political analytical support to the Head of COE:
- Advise the Head of COE on any political, social or economic developments in the relevant areas of responsibility of this function.
- Maintain and develop day-to-day contacts with key government authorities and ensure the prompt sharing of information, conclusions or messages with the Head of COE and concerned GIZ Head of Programs, or GIZ programme staff, as appropriate.
- Support the development and maintenance of existing joint consultation processes within government authorities and other stakeholders in the area of responsibility.
- Act as a point of referral and advice for communications between the GIZ and the local authorities.
- Act as the Area Security Advisor for the Head of COE in liaison with KRI RMO and stay abreast of local security related issues and/or concerns.
Provide strategic coordination for GIZ implementation in KRI:
- Advise the Head of COE on the need for adjustments to the GIZ results framework for KRI, and related programmatic or operational developments.
- Support KRI key persons within the government and the governorate offices to comply with the agreed planning, monitoring, evaluation and reporting requirements of the GIZ during program implementation, ensuring a results orientation and the application of lessons learned.
- Working closely with JCC, OCHA, IOM and other relevant bodies support the overall coherence and harmonization of GIZ activities in KRI, in particular during planning, reviews and implementation.
- Supervise the implementation of the GIZ Letter of Intend in KRI and implementation of the memorandums, recommendations and agreements which were adopted.
- Liaise with the GIZ RMO, in case of any emergency.
Maintains strategic partnerships and support the resource mobilization in cooperation with other agencies:
- Support the development of partnerships with government institutions, bi-lateral and multi-lateral donors, private sector, civil society etc.
- Provide support to joint GIZ resource mobilisation efforts, in accordance with the agreed GIZ Principles and Strategy and other relevant instruments defined by the GIZ.
Ensures provision of policy advisory services and facilitation of knowledge building and management:
- Contribute to the analysis of the political, social and economic situation in the country and preparation/revision of GIZ support documents.
- Identify sources of information related to policy-driven issues, synthesis of best practices and lessons learned directly linked to GIZ programme goals.
- Support the production of Head of COE reports to demonstrate development results.
- Coordinate development of policies and institutions that will address the country problems and needs in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
Ensures administrative procedures for the COE
- General administrative tasks with the authorities like e.g. vehicle registration, asayish focal point, correspondence with the local authorities like governorate, ministries, directorates.
- Facilitate day to day non-administrative work between GIZ and national as well as international partners.
- Processing of residency (ID) card and visa issues for international GIZ staff.
- Supervision and cooperation with the Office manager in all relevant matters.
- Management responsibility for support staff in Erbil and Dohuk (e.g. Liaison assistant)
- Demonstrates integrity by modeling the GIZ values and ethical standards.
- Promotes the vision, mission, and strategic goals of the GIZ.
- Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
Management and Leadership / political analysis skills
- Ability to conduct sound political analysis, judgment, and decision making in a complex socio- political environment.
- Ability to analyze and understand complex political issues and environment and provide options or advice to senior management.
- Builds strong relationships within political and social networks, focuses on impact and result for the GIZ and responds positively to feedback.
- Consistently approaches work with energy and a positive, constructive attitude.
- Ability to lead, build and work in a team.
- Capacity to work under pressure.
- Demonstrated negotiating, cultural sensitivity and diplomatic skills.
- Demonstrates good oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates openness to change and ability to manage complexities.
Development and Operational Effectiveness
- Ability to lead strategic planning, results-based management and reporting.
- Ability to lead monitoring and evaluation of development programmes and projects, mobilize resources.
- Ability to implement new systems and positively affect staff behavioral/ attitudinal change.
- High intellectual capacity to understand and interpret national development issues.
- Promotes knowledge management in the GIZ family through networking and personal example.
Required Skills and Experience
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree in Economics, Public Policy, Political Science, Public Administration, Business Administration, Development Studies, International Development or related field.
- Minimum 5 years of relevant experience at the national or international level in providing strategic political policy and programme/project advisory services, hands-on experience in policy and programme design, monitoring and evaluation of development interventions and results, or related fields. Also, candidates will require experience on security matters and skills in facilities management.
- Proven ability to establish and manage inter-relationships among international organizations, national governments and civil society. Experience in the usage of computers and office software packages and good IT skills desirable.
- Fluency in English, Kurdish and Arabic. Knowledge of German an advantage.
How to apply:
Please send your CV/resume to the following Email address: Jobs.GIZ.KRI@giz.de
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS GOV