Posted by: Broadway United Church of Christ
New York, NY, US
Preschool Sunday School Teacher
Broadway United Church of Christ 263 W 86th Street New York, New York 10024 212.316.5700
This position provides care, supervision, and early faith formation for children from age three through Kindergarten during worship services at Broadway United Church of Christ. The ideal candidate will be a person of faith, have experience providing care for preschoolers, enjoy working with and encouraging young children, have experience with the UCC or other progressive Protestant churches, be at least a high school graduate or equivalent, be punctual and reliable. For the children’s safety, candidates are expected to undergo a background check, abide by Safe Church policies, and work closely with the Director of Children’s Ministry. This position is part-time, from 4:30-6:30pm on Sundays.
The Preschool Sunday School Teacher can expect to receive requests and feedback from multiple sources, including the Pastor, Board of Stewards, and Nurture Committee; however his/her direct supervisor is the Director of Children’s Ministry.
• Set up the classroom space each week, creating a safe, positive, and cheerful atmosphere. Clean up and leave room as it was found.
•Gather with children in the sanctuary for the beginning of the worship service and serve as a guide for teaching children the mechanics of worship. Following the passing of the peace, all will depart the sanctuary for class time. On Communion Sundays, the Teacher will bring the class into the sanctuary to receive the sacrament.
• Engage children in developmentally appropriate religious activities (Bible stories, songs, crafts, ritual, imaginative play, etc.). A lectionary based curriculum will be provided or developed in consultation with the Director of Children’s Ministry.
• Maintain toys and supplies, making requests to the Nurture Committee as appropriate.
- In the case that no children are present, the Preschool Sunday School Teacher is expected to assist the Director of Children’s Ministry as assigned (e.g. assisting in Sunday school, Nursery, organizing supplies)
- The Preschool Sunday School Teacher is invited, but not required, to join the congregation for weekly fellowship time following the worship service.
- College degree preferred
Send resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more here:: Idealist