Posted by: Oatlands Historic House & Gardens
Leesburg, VA, US
The Visitor Center in Oatlands Carriage House is the first point of contact for visitors to Oatlands Historic House and Gardens, a site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
This position is responsible for providing initial orientation and excellent client service for all visitors before and after tours, programs, and events.
The job requires the processing of retail sales and completing ticket transactions in person and on the phone in a courteous and professional manner.
Candidate must demonstrate a collaborative, positive, supportive spirit, and work with all staff members to provide a seamless, warm, welcoming experience for all visitors. We are seeking a motivated, talented, creative individual to ensure visitors a positive experience from the moment they enter Oatlands Carriage House.
Other duties include:
- Open and close register and Visitor Center five days per week.
- Buy and stock merchandise that supports the mission of Oatlands as a historic house museum.
- Seek out local artisans and craftspeople for merchandise for the store.
- Organize and keep track of merchandise inventory; restock items; some lifting is required for storing, restocking and inventory adjustments.
- Create and maintain visual displays; keep store neat and orderly at all times.
- Provide assistance during special events and programs.
- Oversee and supervise part-time employees and volunteers who may assist in the Visitor Center and Museum Store; organize their work schedules.
- Work closely with the Oatlands Finance Director.
This is a full time, 40-hour per week job that will require frequently working on weekends and some holidays (not Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas, New Year’s Eve or New Year’s Day). The position offers a competitive salary and a full benefits package including health, dental and vision insurance, paid time off, a Health Savings Account, as well as disability and life insurance.
This position will report to the Oatlands Executive Director.
Ideal candidate will have:
- Experience with computers and POS systems.
- Retail experience – sales and buying.
- A background in business, museum studies, historic preservation, history or communications.
- Outstanding verbal communication skills and ability to work in a fast-paced environment with flexibility and poise.
- Experience working in a professional retail, hospitality, or museum environment.
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
About Oatlands Historic House and Gardens: Oatlands is a 400-acre estate located in the Piedmont region of Virginia between Washington, D.C. and the Shenandoah Valley within Loudoun County, one of the nation’s fastest growing areas. Once part of the extensive Carter family plantation holdings, Oatlands tells the stories of a 19th century working plantation, an early 20th century country house, and the people who lived and worked there. In addition to the mansion, Oatlands property includes magnificent formal terraced gardens, one of the earliest extant greenhouses in North America, barns, and other outbuildings. Oatlands is owned by the National Trust for Historic Preservation and operated by Oatlands, Inc., both non-profit, non-government organizations.
Oatlands is a rich resource for the community, state, and nation. We provide historical, educational and recreational experiences to our many visitors. Today, we tell the story of the enslaved community that lived, worked, and built Oatlands.
Oatlands welcomes more than 75,000 visitors per year through our school programs, house and garden tours, afternoon teas, and large-scale events such as Oatlands’ Strawberry Festival, World War I and World War II Weekend, Harvest Festival and more.
Start date: Immediately
Employment type: Full-time
Professional level: Managerial
Job functions: Visitor services, customer services, historic site, non-profit, museum, sales, education & administration.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent required; college degree preferred.
Email cover letter and resume to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Read more here:: Idealist