Organization: UN High Commissioner for Refugees
Closing date: 03 May 2017
Job ID 13786
The Senior Environmental Coordinator ensures that UNHCR policy and programming related to environment is in line with current UN-wide initiatives and global priorities, relevant cutting-edge technology and approaches. S/he develops environment policy for UNHCR and provides coordination and technical support to country level environmental programmes. The Senior Environmental Coordinator will work closely with colleagues in related technical sectors at Headquarters (including water and sanitation, shelter, nutrition, education, food, health as well as community services, gender and age, and livelihood) and with the regional bureaux to promote sound environmental management within UNHCR operations, support operations to mainstream environmental issues into UNHCR programmes and assist in the mainstreaming of refugees and other persons of concern into national environmental programming as part of the SDG, ‘leave no one behind’ agenda. S/he maintains and develops strong partnerships with relevant environmental actors in the donor, UN, NGO and private sector community.
The incumbent directly supervises the Environment Officer, technical consultants and co-supervises the Programme Officer and provides technical supervision of national and international volunteers or other technical personnel.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Advanced university degree in a Biological Sciences or Natural Resource Management.
- Minimum 10 years of relevant working experience at professional level.
- Minimum of 5 years in an international capacity with experience in developing countries in Asia and Africa.
- Minimum of 2 years project management experience, including budget management and donor reporting responsibilities.
- Demonstrated practical experience of refugee-related environmental problems.
- Demonstrated experience in engaging with development actors in environmental issues.
- Demonstrated experience in leading environmental assessments, climate change adaptation and planning, monitoring and evaluation of integrated environmental programme/ projects.
- A history of successful resource mobilisation including developing concept notes and funding proposals.
- Familiarity with emerging environmental trends and appropriate sustainable development technologies.
- Demonstrated skills in data collection and analysis (research methods) related to environment.
- Field experience in diverse geographic locations in developing countries.
- Computer skills in Word processing, PowerPoint, Excel, and a statistical programme.
- Excellent drafting and presentation skills in English.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Designing and facilitating training programmes.
- Experience in working both at headquarters and country level on environment.
- Knowledge of additional UN languages.
- Please note that the closing date for all vacancies in the Add. 1 to March 2017 Compendium is Wednesday, 3 May 2017 (midnight Geneva time).
How to apply:
Job ID 13786
To apply please go to the UNHCR Careers page and click on international vacancies:
Female candidates are strongly encouraged.
Deadline: 3 May 2017 (midnight Geneva time).
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT