Closing date: 15 May 2017
Vacancy Announcement: Project Officer – WASH
Organization: Adeso – African Development Solutions (www.adesoafrica.org)
Position Title: Project Officer – WASH
Reporting To: Deputy Program Manager
Working With: All Program Staff
Program/Duty Station: Badhan Sanaag Region
Duration: Ten (10) Months
Starting Date: Immediately
Adeso, formally known as Horn Relief, is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
For the past 20 years we have strengthened rural livelihoods through environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. Currently, Adeso has programs in Somalia, Kenya and South Sudan. Our current donor portfolio includes the European Commission, USAID, SIDA, CIDA, UNICEF, and the Government of Netherlands, among others.
Adeso is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
The Project Officer will be responsible for the day-to-day implementation of Adeso interventions in accordance with the implementation framework and donor guidelines.
Based in Sanaag, the Project Officer will be a full-time member of the Adeso Team reporting to the Deputy Program Manager. S/he will, together with the Project Team, develop appropriate project plans and implementation, carry out project activities and monitor the projects. Under the supervision of the Deputy Program Manager, the Project Officer will lead the technical development and implementation of the project.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
· Assisting in the selection of project sites together with the target communities and in line with their requirements/priorities.
· Conducting thorough assessments of the proposed sites, analyzing labour requirements, costs and timeframes, and taking into consideration the successes and constraints of new/rehabilitated water infrastructure at all sites.
· Developing technical designs and plans for proposed work sites in consultation with the Deputy Program Director and other staff.
· Developing and maintaining good relationships and lines of communication with relevant local authorities and communities, explaining Adeso’s role as an NGO and liaising with them during all phases of the project.
· Preparing Bill of Quantities (BoQs) for all work sites and oversee procurement of materials and supplies required in consultation with the logistics officer.
· Ensuring that all BoQs costing are well put in the general project procurement plan which has to be done once and approved from HQ; in the absence of the Project engineer
· Ensuring construction of projects in accordance with designs and training of community members and stakeholders on proper operation and maintenance of the water sources.
· Monitoring expenditure and costs of infrastructure work sites to ensure that project stays on budget.
· Supervising the construction/rehabilitation of infrastructure.
· Monitoring water quality through continual testing and undertaking activities to address poor water quality, including public health initiatives.
· Completing Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA) plan for infrastructure development when required.
· Developing contractor tender documents for different structure to be constructed.
· Developing training materials related to Water, Sanitation and Natural Resource Management components as needed for the project.
· Providing a need based technical skills to the field staff by carrying on-job regular trainings.
· Promoting public hygiene and sanitation awareness and behaviour change and communication.
· Supporting the Deputy Program Director/Engineer Team Leader in compiling monthly, quarterly technical reports.
· Any other duties assigned in the course of the assignment period.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
· Bachelors degree or equivalent in Water Resource Engineering, Civil Engineering or Water and Environmental Engineering.
· Vast experience working in WASH activities such as rehabilitations of boreholes, shallow wells etc.
· Ability to multi-task and effectively handle stressful situations.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills both in English and Somali.
· Strong interpersonal skills and ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with a team.
· Strong knowledge of and experience with humanitarian guidelines and principles.
· Experience in budget management and knowledge of financial procedures required.
· Proficiency in computer applications.
· Ability to live and work in an isolated area in conditions of limited comfort.
· Proven ability to work well with multi-level stakeholders.
· Strong interpersonal skills.
· Experience in developing program work-plans, developing budgets, managing program implementation.
· Experience in staff management and managing short-term technical assistance.
· Previous experience working in the Horn of Africa and/or knowledge of the region is preferred.
· Experience working in an insecure environment and security knowledge are essential.
· Demonstrated leadership, supervision, and communication skills.
· A team player with visionary leadership.
· Good interpersonal skills as well as networking, flexibility and innovativeness;
· Master’s degree in a relevant subject.
· Experience and competence in research, monitoring and evaluation.
· Demonstrable skills in report writing and documentation.
· Experience in working in harsh environment.
How to apply:
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org , quoting “**Project Officer – WASH”** in the email subject matter, by 15th May, 2017.
Each application should be addressed to HR Director and include the following:
• An updated CV with updated contact details: Phone No., Email Address and Skype ID; and
• An application letter which should include cover letter, remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on one’s background, beliefs, gender or sexual orientation. t
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT