Organization: International Center for Tropical Agriculture
Country: Viet Nam
Closing date: 05 Jun 2017
The International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) seeks to develop technologies and generate knowledge for making agriculture more competitive and profitable, as well as sustainable and resilient, to benefit smallholder agricultural producers and poor consumers in the world’s tropical regions. CIAT is a CGIAR Center which conducts research to improve key crops (cassava, common bean, rice, and tropical forages), to reverse soil and land degradation, and to foster better decisions about issues such as climate change and environmental management.
Headquartered near Cali, Colombia, CIAT undertakes Asia-wide research with national and international partners from its regional hub in Hanoi, Vietnam covering five key themes: 1) cassava value chains, 2) forages and livestock, 3) soil and landscape sustainability, 4) climate change and ecosystem services, and 5) value chains and food systems.
The Agri-food Economist- Asia will provide disciplinary expertise in agri-food economics across CIAT Asia’s research themes, through helping generate knowledge and introduce innovations toward more sustainable, equitable and resilient agricultural systems for food and other multiple end-uses. Priority research areas include: 1) dynamics of consumer behavior and market demand from household/community- to macro-scales; 2) upgrading strategies for food supply/value chains to deliver more sufficient, diverse, safe, nutritious and affordable food for low-income consumers; 3) environmental economics and sustainable agri-food systems; and 4) enabling institutions and policy frameworks that increase resilience of agri-food systems to short and long-term shocks.
· Contributes to regional agenda-setting and planning for collaborative research to better understand the dynamics of Asian agri-food systems from the perspective of consumers, users and markets.
· Co-formulates and implements research-for-development strategies with national partners for re-shaping agri-food systems/supply chains to become more pro-poor, nutritious, sustainable and resilient.
· Provides expert inputs in relevant concepts, methods and tools for agri-food systems analysis and targeting, action research and learning, and assessment and evaluation.
· Facilitates knowledge-sharing and capacity-strengthening efforts for CIAT staff, partners and stakeholders in the region.
· Participates in resource mobilization efforts for the further development and growth of key CIAT Asia initiatives.
· PhD. in applied/development/agricultural/environmental economics preferably with specialization in agri-food markets, value chains and systems.
· Minimum 3 years of field-oriented economics research experience relevant to priority areas in CIAT Asia research agenda and in particular on: a) agri-food systems sustainability and resilience, b) consumer behavior among poor rural/urban households, and/or c) product quality and food safety.
· Broad knowledge of the Asian agriculture sector and its interface with food systems and other use-systems for resource-poor consumers and producers.
· Demonstrated capacity for using quantitative and qualitative methods in agri-food economics research, including a growing portfolio of scientific publications.
· Commitment to interdisciplinary research in a team-based, collaborative working environment.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
How to apply:
Pre-application inquiries may be addressed to the CIAT Director for Asia (email@example.com).
We invite you to learn more about us at: http://www.ciat.cgiar.org
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS ARI