Chokersetter (Temporary Position) (Shelton, WA)
The Chokersetter works on the company’s cable logging crew. The primary duties are setting chokers and communicating log and grapple position depending on type of logging system used. Other duties are assisting in equipment setup and placement and as assigned. Communication skills and work ethic are important skills in this role. This is a full-time multiple-shift position and is based out of our Camp 1 facility located about 10 miles west of Shelton, WA.
The Company will provide training for applicants without prior experience.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: (Other duties may be assigned)
- Assist yarder operator by communicating log and grapple position.
- Assist in Yarder setup; including notching stumps.
- Splice and string lines on the yarder.
- Use “whistle” sequences for extracting logs.
- Operate a tail hold shovel, D-8 cat and chainsaw.
- Understand the working functions of a machine and check all fluid levels and perform daily maintenance.
- Drive the crew bus and flatbed truck (Commercial Driver License required for this aspect of the job).
- Follow HCP and FPA rules and regulations.
- High school diploma or GED.
- Valid WA driver’s license.
- Able to work flexible hours.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Experience with logging operations and/or falling timber.
- Experience operating a log loader, D-8 Cat, and chainsaw.
- Able to obtain Commercial Driver’s License.
- Some knowledge of state and federal safety and environmental regulations.
- Maintain punctual and regular attendance.
- Communication skills; speaks well, communicates ideas clearly, team player.
- Conduct self in a professional manner to maintain effective relationships.
- Learn, apply and retain new methods and information; creative in solving problems.
- Exhibit a “can do” attitude with a positive approach to challenges.
- Demonstrate the Green Diamond Core Values in actions and behaviors; work with integrity, trust, and commitment.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- This position is located in Shelton, WA.
- Works primarily (90%+) of the time in the field under varying topography and climatic extremes.
- Ability to orient, climb, and traverse steep rugged, densely vegetated terrain on a consistent basis in in sometimes harsh weather conditions for long periods of time.
- Must have the ability to see distance and detail with accuracy.
- Must have ability to work independently and without immediate supervision in remote areas.
- Works in conditions that may expose employee wildlife encounters, poison oak and/or insect bites.
- Mandatory travel to remote company locations.
- Ability to attend training and company functions.
- Requires the use of standard safety equipment in regulation with Green Diamond.
- This position may be exposed to pesticides.
- This position is a Physical and Mental Requirement Classification 8.
Read more here:: GFIS