POSITION TITLE: Forester (RPF)
WORK LOCATION: Scotia, California
Provides assistance to the Forest Manager in the preparation and completion of the Timber Harvest Plans (THP) and the administration of the activities of those plans.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develops and prepares the Timber Harvest Plan by performing research, organizing and analyzing field data, preparing the THP maps, analyzing air photos, and contacting outside resources if needed;
- Travels throughout the area defined in the THP and identifies unstable areas;
- Flags boundaries of the area defined in the THP;
- Records water course classifications, lake and protection zones and other relevant data as required to conform to the THP;
- Conducts surveys including botanical, archeological, raptor and spotted owl;
- Prepares field notes to use in writing the THP;
- Develops and administers vegetation and reforestation projects;
- Administers field operations including designing and building roads and logging activity;
- Marks timber and trains others to mark timber;
- Directs work of non-RPF Foresters and Seasonal Forestry Technicians.
QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS
• Bachelor’s degree (B. S.) from four-year college or university and three years related experience and/or training; or eight years of experience or equivalent education and experience
• This position requires the candidate to possess or be willing to obtain a Registered Professional Foresters license within two years
• To perform this position successfully, an individual should have knowledge of ArcView, and the Microsoft Suite
• Must maintain and carry a valid California driver license and remain eligible to operate company vehicles including automobiles, trucks and/or all terrain vehicles in accordance with company policy guidelines
• Read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
• Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community
• Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format
• Effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors
• Ability to apply advanced mathematical concepts such as exponents, logarithms, quadratic equations, and permutations
• Ability to apply mathematical operations to such tasks as frequency distribution, determination of test reliability and validity, analysis of variance, correlation techniques, sampling theory, and factor analysis
• Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations
Read more here:: GFIS