Reports To: Managing Director
About Actors Theatre of Louisville:
Actors Theatre of Louisville, the Tony-Award winning State Theatre of Kentucky, seeks qualified and passionate applicants for the position of Director of Development.
Under the leadership of Artistic Director, Les Waters and Managing Director, Kevin E. Moore, Actors Theatre serves to unlock human potential, build community and enrich quality of life by engaging people in theatre that reflects the wonder and complexity of our time.
Actors Theatre presents almost 350 performances annually across three theatres and delivers a broad range of programming impacting local and national audiences with a particular focus on new play development influencing the field of American theatre. Programs include classical repertory and contemporary work through the Brown-Forman Series, holiday favorites cherished as annual traditions, the Humana Festival of New American Plays influencing the canon of American theatre, an Education program where students see and make plays, and a theatre training program for 40+, the Professional Training Company.
Actors Theatre seeks to create brave space where it is safe to be who you are and diverse identities, ideas, cultures and opinions are cultivated because we believe the diversity of our community is a defining strength. We are committed to diversity in all areas of our work, including the plays we produce, casting, marketing and community engagement efforts, education programs, recruitment of staff and volunteers, and the composition of the Board of Directors. People of color and members of underrepresented communities are invited and encouraged to apply.
Summary of Position:
The Director of Development is a member of the Theatre’s senior leadership team, reporting to the Managing Director and working closely with the Board of Directors and other volunteers. This position leads strategy development and supervises the planning, implementation, and evaluation of all fundraising programs, including special events, to raise $4.6+ million in annual contributed income through individual, corporate, foundation, and government support.
The Essential Functions include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Collaborates regularly with the Managing Director and Artistic Director to ensure a clear and accurate interpretation of the organization’s vision and direction.
- Supervises a staff of 4 full-time professional personnel responsible for securing individual, corporate, foundation and government support.
- Cultivates a major gifts portfolio of the Theatre’s top donors across individual, corporate and foundation supporters.
- Leads initiatives to achieve goals defined in Actors Theatre’s strategic plan, and further develop long-range contributed income goals and strategies.
- Plans and executes strategies to raise capital and endowment funds on an ongoing basis. The Theatre is in the early stages of a major capital campaign.
- Serves as the primary Development liaison to the Board of Director’s Executive, Internal Affairs, External Affairs, Governance and Campaign Committees.
- Manages cash flow expectations and annual expense budget for contributed income. Prepare monthly reports for the Finance department and various Board committees that detail progress toward goals.
- Works closely with staff, the Board of Directors and other volunteers to maximize the effectiveness of the Theatre’s diverse special events, which range from small cultivation dinners and opening night parties to the annual fundraiser Lobster Feast, in order to help attract, develop and retain donors.
- Supervises and manages the research and preparation of all foundation, corporate and government grant proposals and oversee grant administration and reporting.
- Cultivates participation in a formal planned giving program.
- Oversees the success of the Theatre’s young professional volunteer organization, interACT.
- Collaborates with the senior leadership team on key organizational issues ranging from long-term strategy to day-to-day management and infrastructure needs.
- Represents the Theatre across the community, at various events and by serving on committees, to further promote the value of the performing arts and Actors Theatre in particular.
- Maintains a strong relationship with the Marketing department and Box Office to ensure organizational strategy coordination and customer relationship management in marketing and fundraising efforts.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong knowledge of principles, ethics and practices of successful fundraising.
- Excellent strategic thinking, leadership and relationship-building skills.
- Proven leadership, managerial, and interpersonal skills to guide a high-performing team to success; pro-active and positive attitude in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent verbal communication, interpersonal and relationship-building skills to effectively work with a variety of people and personalities.
- Exceptional organization skills with strong attention to detail.
- Skill in raising contributed income through major gifts, an annual fund, corporate sponsorship, planned gifts and endowment support, in-kind giving and capital campaigns.
- Skill in initiating and utilizing innovative approaches to fundraising.
- Excellent team builder with motivational and leadership skills.
- Proven ability to work effectively with board members, colleagues, donors and volunteers.
- Ability to be hands-on with various tactics to reach annual targets.
- Ability to take initiative and ownership of projects and work with minimal direction and supervision.
- Ability to work on variety of projects simultaneously is essential.
- Ability to lead multiple long and short term projects simultaneously, meeting all related deadlines.
- Ability to communicate clearly in writing.
- Ability to work at the conceptual level as well as the implementation phase.
- Ability to work successfully under pressure.
- Ability to manage and effectively communicate pertinent information with staff and board.
- Ability to present, inform and motivate individuals and groups about the Theatre’s mission and program.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field. Professional experience may be substituted.
- Five (5) or more years’ leadership experience.
- Five (5) or more years’ fundraising experience.
- Previous experience working on capital campaign management.
- Experience developing and maintaining productive working relationships with board members, donors, and community members.
- Demonstrated experience with best-practice fundraising methods and techniques.
- Computer and internet literacy; experience in donor database (Tessitura and/or Raisers Edge preferred).
- A genuine interest in and knowledge of the Theatre with a commitment to the organization’s Equity, Diversity and Inclusion work.
Compensation will be competitive with similar positions throughout the region. The range of benefits includes medical and dental insurance, long-term and short-term disability insurance, paid time off and, a 403(b) retirement plan.
Applicants interested in applying for this position must email Cover Letter and Resume by July 24, 2017 to:
Marie Tull, Human Resources Manager
No phone calls please.
Actors Theatre is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, class, religion, country of origin, political belief, (dis)ability, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or any factor protected by law. Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply.
Read more here:: CNPE