Organization: UN Children’s Fund
Closing date: 21 Jun 2017
If you are a committed, creative professional and are passionate about making a lasting difference for children, the world’s leading children’s rights organization would like to hear from you.
For 70 years, UNICEF has been working on the ground in 190 countries and territories to promote children’s survival, protection and development. The world’s largest provider of vaccines for developing countries, UNICEF supports child health and nutrition, good water and sanitation, quality basic education for all boys and girls, and the protection of children from violence, exploitation, and AIDS. UNICEF is funded entirely by the voluntary contributions of individuals, businesses, foundations and governments.
Purpose of the Position
Due to the increasing number of emergency responses within East and Southern Africa, monitoring and evaluation of results remains a critical component of successful emergency management. To date, Humanitarian Performance Monitoring (HPM) has not effectively resulted in systematically providing quality and accurate information for determination of the progress of the response and subsequent decision making. As part of the Regional Office Humanitarian Action, Resilience and Peacebuilding (HARP) section, the objective of this position is to provide targeted technical support to performance monitoring of sixteen Humanitarian Action for Children (HAC) Country Offices (COs). The technical support will further inform decision-making in addition to supporting resource mobilization and external reporting on the progress of the CO emergency response. Specifically, the position will support the COs in establishing and rolling out UNICEF’s HPM tools and approaches based on the specific humanitarian context.
Key Expected Results
Under the supervision of the Emergency Specialist, and the overall guidance of the Head of Section, the M&E specialist/HPM will:
- Support COs to review and align emergency results frameworks to their respective Humanitarian Action for Children document. For this purpose, he/she will work closely with COs to strengthen staffs and partners capacities in data collection;2. Ensure that COs have useful, valid and reliable information on the situation of children and women, particularly in areas where UNICEF is intervening. This will also require that child focused indicators are also integrated into inter- agency assessments, preparedness, response plans and evaluation;3. Work closely with COs to design and/or roll out field monitoring systems;4. Provide quality assurance for Situation Reports through analysis of identified high frequency monitoring performance indicators; and undertake consistency data check and narrative inputs provided in the documents. This will include providing pre-release feedback to COs on HPM tables and results reporting;5. Produce a final report with recommendations and guidance for the implementation of UNICEF HPM in the region;6. Facilitate at least 1 workshop on UNICEF’s humanitarian performance monitoring approach to priority COs (HAC COs); 7. Establish and roll out one functional dashboard on CO performance in emergency response; 8. Produce one final report with recommendations and guidance for the implementation of UNICEF HPM in the region; 9. Produce 5 Situation Reports quality assured per COs;
Qualifications of Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in social sciences, statistics, planning development, planning, political science, international studies, humanitarian affairs or other related fields.
- Minimum of five years of relevant work experience in programme evaluation, assessment, monitoring, preferably in humanitarian contexts
- At least one instance of exposure to emergency programming, including preparedness planning. Active involvement in a humanitarian crisis response programme preferred.
- Background/familiarity with emergency operations and staff security.
- Knowledge of the work of UNICEF in humanitarian situations is a distinct advantage.
- Fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French/Portuguese an asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Working with People
- Drive for Result
- Leading and Supervising
- Formulating Strategies and Concepts
- Applying Technical Expertise
- Planning and Organizing
Specific Technical Knowledge Required
- Knowledge of Project Evaluation.
- Professional technical knowledge/expertise in Evaluation Process Management, Follow-up on Recommendations and Dissemination of M&E results.
- Emerging international good practice in monitoring and evaluation partnerships.
Common Technical Knowledge Required
- Professional technical knowledge/expertise in demography, statistics, and data management.
- Professional technical knowledge/expertise in methodology of M&E, including theories, standards and models, quantitative/qualitative/mixed methods, validity/reliability testing of data, data analysis and interpretation, and statistical inference methods.
- Professional technical knowledge/expertise in Activity Monitoring & Evaluation, Evaluation Design, data analysis, and reporting.
- Gender equality and diversity awareness
Technical Knowledge to be Acquired/Enhanced
- Professional/technical knowledge/expertise in Team Management, Coaching & Training.
- Mastery of UNICEF’s M&E policies and procedures.
- Latest programme monitoring and evaluation theory, methodology, technology and tools.
- Understanding of UN Mission and system, current key UN topics; and International Code of Conduct.
- Understanding of UNICEF Mission Statement and UNICEF Guiding Principles.
- UNICEF strategic framework for partnerships and collaborative relationships.
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
us and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organisation.
How to apply:
UNICEF is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages qualified female and male candidates from all national, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply to become a part of our organization. To apply, click on the following link http://www.unicef.org/about/employ/?job=503957
Read more here:: RELIEFWEB CAREERS INT